Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is Overdrive Off light on '97 analog dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Overdrive Off light on '97 analog dash?

I have a '97 Grand Marquis. The "Overdrive Off" light does not illuminate when I push the O/D on/off button and never has, so I have no idea where the light is. The previous owner said he thought it was a burned out indicator bulb. I have not taken the dash apart yet, but before I do, I thought it would be a good idea to at least know where the bulb is supposed to be.

I've examined the gauge cluster and can't see any evidence of the O/D Off indicator -- where is it in relation to the gauges/other indicator lights?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is for 2002 cluster but 96' should be similar.

Comment

Click the above link into a browser and have a look. Should be correct for your year. Worst case, check the owners manual as it should show where it is located.

Edit: ninja'd by the Bean, lol..
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Here's a link for a handy PDF version of the manual:

See pages 9 and 14 in particular. The latter has a warning about taking it in for service if the light does not come on when you press the button. I suppose one way of seeing if the bulb is bad is pressing the button and seeing if the tranny stops shifting into overdrive.
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 03-14-2015, 08:10 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
        X