No brake lights and stuck in park 2000 TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brake lights and stuck in park 2000 TC

Hey guys it's been awhile since I've posted but I still browse on the site from time to time.

Anyway I'm having an issue with my Lincoln. No brake lights are working and the shift lock actuator won't disengage.

I have replaced the brake light switch on the pedal and the problem is still not fixed.

I have checked all fuses that are in the same circuits (shown in my evtm). And I am getting 12 volts on the switches hot feed and 12 volts from the other feed when I press the pedal so I know the switch is working.

But I get no voltage to the shift lock and no voltage to the brake lights. What's weird though is I do get voltage in the fuse box when the fuses are removed and I press the brake pedal. But once I put the fuses back in I get nothing.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Is there anything between the output of the brake switch and the shift lock unit? If you can post the page out of the EVTM it would help
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sure I'll attach them as images since my scanner doesn't work on windows 10 yet.

I'm getting the right power from fuse 10 to the boo switch. And switched power on circuit 511 from the switch to fuses 20 and 22.

I'm not getting power through fuses 20 and 22 into circuits 810 and 569. I'm also not getting power on circuits 5 and 9 to the back brake lights.

1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

sounds like it's time to replace fuses and see if stuff pops... if stuff pops... time to find out what's shorted.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll put some new fuses in tomorrow. The current ones are visibly not blown and they test good with my voltmeter as well. But from what I see the fuses are the only thing between where I'm losing my voltage.

If I can't find this short I will just run my own wire with inline fuse to my brake lights and unplug the shift lock.

Comment

I was able to fix all problems by running my own fused wire from 511 to 569. Everything works as it should now. So I'm thinking maybe I had a short in the junction box where fuse 20 and 22 splice.

Comment

i have seen issues inside the fuse box where the contacts get crusty. Usually you can pull the box apart and clean the wiring up, but it can take a bit of doing to get it fully apart. not sure about the particulars on a 2000, but on a 90s box you basically remove all of the fuses and relays, the big red bit surrounding and between all that stuff, then you can pull the wires out individually through the bottom if you poke the release tabs. Those boxes aren't sealed, so moisture gets in and stuff corrodes.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pretty much the same, but in black instead of bakelite beige.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X