Instrument cluster transmission cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster transmission cable

Hi I have the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm going to install the instrument cluster and just want to know how to install that transmission trans selector cable any ideas would be appreciated thank you

The cable that indicates what gear is selected comes down off cluster to the left of the steering column. It runs under the steering column, then through an adjuster mounted on the right of the steering column. That adjuster will need to be removed from the steering column, you'll need a 5.5mm socket or wrench to get if off. Then, just above that adjuster, you slip the end of the cable off of the hook/stud near the upper right of the steering column (on the shift tube).
    Edit: You will need to remove the panel under the steering column/above the pedals to get at that adjuster and remove it.

Here are a couple of pictures from a 1991 MGM. The 91 cable housing and adjuster is white while on your 2000 it will likely be black and the cable is shorter, but the process is the same.

Edit #2: LOL, Sly, yep 7/32 or 5mm which ever you find first.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

as you pull off the old one, note where the cable goes. There is a single 7/32 head hex screw holding that cable to the column. This is the same head that the TFI module screws use, so if you have one of those TFI tools, it'll work for that screw. Otherwise, you'll need to get a socket that fits.

and vic beat me to it... but I'll leave mine here because of SAE/metric sockets. Either socket will work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you guys much appreciated

Comment

Just one more question is there a way to adjust the odometer on the used cluster to match the mileage on the car now

Comment

yes and no. Yes you can, but you have to knock the pin out of the rollers and then get it to all go back together once you have it rolled to the right number. Good luck on that.

No, I wouldn't worry about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

K thanks

Comment

Working...
              X