No announcement yet.

What vehicle is the equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems low to me, but there is an incline. I will one day have the time to go to an empty parking lot, so I can get adequate pictures, and not be too lazy to use paint to get rid of plates.
    Last edited by MyTowLinc; 02-18-2023, 08:29 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Will probably move this over to the proper subforum, after checking out some more stufff.

I looked at a few things, and then read the diagnosing section, and a few other parts of the Ford Overdrive Thesis. Wow that answers a lot of questions, and makes me feel like an idiot. So I am going to check tomorrow, but I am pretty certain I still have engine braking in 2nd gear. The transmission oil is red, and doesn't smell burnt. Dipstick level is adequate in cold temperature reading, I will take the hot temperature reading, and check the engine braking in 2nd gear. This transmssion has done really well thus far, and I guess I don't know if it is slipping per say. It did the same thing when I had kept it out of overdrive. It only happens in one situation, and that is if I wide open accelerate it just doesn't, and since I normally do not fully accelerate, I do not know when this started happening.

original:
      Should I start a thread regarding the transmission? I looked through the forum and, I am going to check "s the TV bushing still on the linkage? ". Pulling out the haynes.
      Last edited by MyTowLinc; 02-18-2023, 09:48 PM.

Comment

with 3.55 rear gears and the class 3 receiver, towing 3500 pounds really is no big issue. I did it quite a lot with my utility trailer before I got the Expedition. The trans cooler is basic towing insurance. Having trailer brakes makes things even easier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I was worried to be honest, Before I was leaning more towards the idea that 2500 would be rougher than I wanted. When I did polished concrete we hauled 2x over limit sometimes.... the diesel made it go, but the way you wipped around in a blizzard was nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            ...The owner's manual specifically says to not tow in overdrive, and I wouldn't second guess them on that. The shifting in and out definitely makes it worse but its a lot of stress on a not super robust part....
            Do the owner's manuals on Aeros or Whales say the same thing about staying out of OD while towing? I wonder whether the larger overdrive band in the 4R70W was enough for Ford to change their guidance.
            1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post

Do the owner's manuals on Aeros or Whales say the same thing about staying out of OD while towing? I wonder whether the larger overdrive band in the 4R70W was enough for Ford to change their guidance.
              Just read the 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner's Manual and there are no listed restrictions listed in reference to towing and Overdrive. Just if one is doing so, in hilly conditions, to shift out of Overdrive to avoid the constant shifting around 3rd.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Good info, thanks. Wikipedia says '95 was the first year for the 4R70W in the Grand Marquis. And I don't believe the AODE had wide ratio gears or the bigger overdrive band, so anything earlier should still have the no towing in OD advice.
                1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I think a lot of my concern is the shoddy transmission work I have experienced. I have dealt with a lot of fords, and honestly they have always been amazing until a mechanic seems to touch them. FriskyFrankie is correct. Here is a picture of the owner's manual for the 91 town car.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I grew up in a really snowy mountainous area, and so using OD or Cruise Control is not natural to me. O/D kicked on when we had 30 or more miles of flat land.

Comment

my 93 CV (AOD) manual says the same as the 2000. It doesn't discourage OD except in the hills to prevent hunting and says top speed of 45mph going up and to use 1/2 on the downgrades to help control speed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X