No announcement yet.

Poor MPG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it show up in the "feel" of the engine? Mine has "pep" and runs real smooth.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

A bit. It wouldnt hurt to check.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Will double check but tires were off, recently, pads and rest looked good!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

The type of driving might make a big difference in fuel mileage. For example, of course, more idling time (like waiting at long traffic lights) will decrease mileage along with stop and go traffic. Also, higher ambient temperatures can sometimes negatively affect fuel mileage. And, slower speeds will result in lower mileage. Theoretically, fuel mileage increases with speed up until about 55mph or so.

Comment

Yeah, most if not all = city driving with all the negatives you mentioned. Still seems low to me but maybe that's all I am going to get!

Comment

What is your highway mileage?

Comment

Not sure - don't drive on the highways - maybe I should!

Comment

if you haven't driven it on the highway in a good long time... you may need to take a drive some weekend with OD off to blow the carbon buildup out (Italian tune up).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Are you running 5w-30 oil?
                    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                    185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
                    JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

5W 30 Mobil1.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        if you haven't driven it on the highway in a good long time... you may need to take a drive some weekend with OD off to blow the carbon buildup out (Italian tune up).
                        Sounds like a good idea. I thought running a glass of water down the carb was the Italian tune-up!

Comment

Originally posted by way2old View Post
                          The digital readout on the dash is just an estimation...
                          Really? On EFI cars? My experience with an 89 Cougar V6, a 90 Cougar V6, and an 89 Olds 88 Royale all basically had the computer estimate within a half a mile-per-gallon of what I was figuring on fillup, calculating by hand, resetting trip odometer, etc...

Granted, that's a sample size of exactly 3 cars, but still.... I figured with all of them behaving nicely, that those digital fuel economy readers were pretty accurate.

As long, of course, as you remember to reset the darn thing each time you fill up the tank.....
                          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Did you put bigger diameter tires on it than came from the factory?
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                              Did you put bigger diameter tires on it than came from the factory?
                              Came with 16's and now has new 16's.

Comment

Its the tire diameter not the wheel diameter that can effect milage readings even same spec tires from different MFGs can be different. Bigger dia slowes the speedo down larger speeds it up changes milage readings. Anothe issue is your rear gears. 2.73 in the city will get less milage city better highway. Gears like 3.55 more city less highway as a rule of thumb.
                                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                                X