No announcement yet.

Slight hesitation/shaking when motor is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you looked at the spark plugs? It may be due. My '98 started getting real picky about gas at about 90-95k. I did a plug change and coil boots and it ran much better. Would still ping a bit on the cheap shit when the weather was hot so I just ran 89 all the time. Got way better mileage too.

Comment

i changed my plugs this past January and wires.
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

how do i tell it has a thermal clutch??

As for the other things. What other tests can I do to rule out torque converter?

Could the coil packs be bad?>

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

They were all thermal clutch from the factory, but if you remove it and see a spiral looking bit on the front, thats a thermal clutch. If there is no spiral, its not a thermal clutch. 97 I believe has the electric fan as well right?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't believe so, just a mechanical

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

hm, thought they did dual fans starting in 96 or so. If its there, its inside the fan shroud forward of the mechanical fan.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am going to try to add lubeguard to it

I will keep an eye out on the fan

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Just to catch everyone up, I do have two fans (mech-thermo) and electric behind it.

Still doing the shuddering, next chance I get im going to buy that lubeguard. Apparently, these tranny's are notorious for it

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You did the torque converter test completely wrong...

You need to get up to speed, tap your brakes and then get on the throttle again and see if it shudders.

So basically.

Gas - foot off gas, brake, foot back on gas. Not both at the same time, you're not looking for a brake stand.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

you can just creep up on 35-40 mph to test for the shudder... especially if you have a road with a slight grade (hill). My 93 made a point of shuddering at these speeds almost all the time when the TC was going out when on slight grades.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OH, I guess I screwed up the TC test. I will try again!

I did notice that after running seafoam in the gas tank and intake that the shuddering is still there. I will do the test again to rule out the TC

My friend (who has a 97 GM) did tell me to put the lubeguard in the tranny fluid, and that IT DOES HELP

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

if the fluid is old, it will help, but won't fix the problem. A J-mod, new TC and a rebuild will solve the problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No, the fluid is pretty new.

How much does it cost to replace just the converter??

I know there are a whole slew or threads on the J mod...

I am assuming that while the tranny is out, it makes sense to rebuild it right (doesn't make sense to just do the converter)?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

It will cost you whatever a shop wants to pull and reinstall the trans, plus a few hundred for a nice converter. Always go with the billet furnace-brazed ones if you can swing it, and the more friction surface it has the better.

As for the TC test, I dislike letting off the throttle, cause then coast clutches and god knows what else can come into play. My usual thing is keep the throttle input steady and lightly tap on the brake pedal till the brake lights come on, you should notice a slight jump in engine speed without you moving your right foot at all. Then as you let off the brake pedal you should feel a single firm "jerk" as if an upshift just happened, that's the TC locking up and staying locked. If she shudders that's the TC locking up but slipping, basically its clutch grabs and releases a few times till eventually it grabs for good.
                              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Thats the way I do it too, just touch the brake pedal enough to pop the brake lamps on but not enough to actually drag the car down from speed. It will disengage the converter and you'll know. The engage and disengage on stock transmissions is generally modulated in some way so it grabs smooth and slow. That also promotes wear on the clutches. When the trans in my S10 was rebuilt, that stuff was removed so it acts like its got a fifth gear with a very distinct engage/disengage vs the stock method of just sliding in smooth-like.

Comment

Working...
                                X