Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought to check my '81 owners manual to see what it lists as possible options. I assume mine would be whatever was normally provided with American vehicles ... now I just have to find it again!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

This just re-affirms what I was sure I read in the owner's manual of my 81' when I had it. Which was listings for the C4, FMX, and AOD. Although as I recall.....the only tranny listed for the 351 was the AOD. My 81' had the 255 with an AOD and the 8.5" rear. I always thought it was odd that the smallest engine was matched up with the larger rear and the only tranny rated for the 351....but since I wanted a 351 swapped in....that was a good thing!
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        it prolly has a C4 tranny like my '81. i never seen a box panther with an FMX.
        Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
        This just re-affirms what I was sure I read in the owner's manual of my 81' when I had it. Which was listings for the C4, FMX, and AOD. Although as I recall.....the only tranny listed for the 351 was the AOD. My 81' had the 255 with an AOD and the 8.5" rear. I always thought it was odd that the smallest engine was matched up with the larger rear and the only tranny rated for the 351....but since I wanted a 351 swapped in....that was a good thing!
        So it seems there was a tranny other than the AOD in 1981, at least behind the 302. I have an '81 Owners Manual floating around somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Someone with a '81 shop manual might be able to advise us on whether it's an FMX or C4 (or both).

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
        What year car was this? I haven't seen a tripminder with the silver square around it, but i cant tell if that is the tripminder itself or the trim.
        That's my old '82. It was part of the trim, not the actual tripminder. '82 actually had a unique tripminder that worked with the fuel flow sensor for the carburetor.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          '82 actually had a unique tripminder that worked with the fuel flow sensor for the carburetor.
          My uncle's 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr with 351W and his car does have tripminder.
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
          1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Does your '81 have a FMX tranny? Or is it an AOD? I went back and researched a little. It specifically says the AOD was standard with the 255, but it doesn't mention the 302 or 351. Could be that those were available with other transmissions like the FMX... Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
            ya i'm nearly positive it's a c4 - i'll be digging the car out and moving it to a shop to replace the body mounts this weekend so i'll have a better look

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_GMQ91 View Post
              My uncle's 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr with 351W and his car does have tripminder.
              I forget about your Canadian cars! Sounds like a nice Merc.

Originally posted by 81ltd View Post
              ya i'm nearly positive it's a c4 - i'll be digging the car out and moving it to a shop to replace the body mounts this weekend so i'll have a better look
              Sweet, take a look if you get a chance.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

That's my old '82. It was part of the trim, not the actual tripminder. '82 actually had a unique tripminder that worked with the fuel flow sensor for the carburetor.
                Hmm, wasn't sure if tripminders looked the same on pre 83 cars, thought they might have those bigger buttons like the digital clocks did. I've yet to find a carbed car with a tripminder at the junkyard here. I always wanted one of the carb fuel flow sensors when i had my 82 wagon.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

this 1981 ltd does indeed come with a c4

Comment

my '81 shop manual shows 3 trans options...
                    V- XP(C3)
                    W- XP(C4)
                    T- automatic overdrive(AOD)

the manual also shows the bativia FWD trans but, that dont apply here lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

What's the difference between an 88-90 grille and a 91 grille for a Vic and Marquis?

sigpic
                      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                        What's the difference between an 88-90 grille and a 91 grille for a Vic and Marquis?
                        Dunno about either - someone told me. I think it might have been mrltd but don't hold me (or him) to it. It was discussed on in a thread somewhere - like the For Sale forum or something off the wall. Someone said there were slight differences in the actual pattern in the grille. About two years ago... It might be all falsehood! I'll check out a '91 next time I see one.

I will change the info about the C4 tranny in '81 ASAP. Which might be a week or so.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Dunno about either - someone told me. I think it might have been mrltd but don't hold me (or him) to it. It was discussed on in a thread somewhere - like the For Sale forum or something off the wall. Someone said there were slight differences in the actual pattern in the grille. About two years ago... It might be all falsehood! I'll check out a '91 next time I see one.
                          My 91' CV.....

Former panther owner
                          1981 CV 351 4bbl
                          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

i got 2 merc grilles. one is off my 88 and another is from the 91 i had. only difference i can see is, one has the smaller slots painted, and the other is all chrome, so IDK.

Comment

i just found somethin on my 85 colony park today(for some reason never noticed it) that might apply here. on the drivers door below the VIN sticker is an oval aluminum tag with 5 digits(2 over 3) riveted(with 2 rivets) to the door. the top 2 digits are 85. im guessing for the year and 691. i tried digging up info on this but, cant find any. is the tag for special order cars or somethin?

Comment

What are the two other buttons on the skinny panel left of the rear defrost? I have wiring harnesses back there but they're not plugged into anything.

also power locks weren't standard on all models but that's nitpicky stuff
                                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                                X