No announcement yet.

Struggling To Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, you mean rolling the windows down while driving.

Comment

1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Meanwhile, under the hood of Mike's car...

It turns out to be the starter motor. When I last tried to start the car the armature stayed in contact with the stator and completely drained the battery.

So new battery with the negative terminal disconnected until I can take the car to get a new starter motor put in.

Comment

unless thats a 90+ type starter, thats not the problem. The old ones do not have any internal electrical switching, thats all done with the starter relay next to the battery. They fail sometimes by welding, but sometimes they fail like that because the starter is drawing too much current for whatever reason. usually because its dying.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I looked like a crazy person today wandering around town with a starter motor under my arm...

I did not speak to it though. At least, not much...

Starter has been replaced and car once again starts reliably. For now..,...

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It was recommended to me that I should go with a dual battery setup.

Having a 3 position switch that selects Battery A, Battery B, or Batteries A + B.

Anyone here ever use such a setup?

Comment

If the system is working correctly, why have multiple batteries??
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

+1 overkill is nice, but there's no need to do dual batteries if the alternator is working properly. You will also need to keep up with both batteries instead of just one. Switching the switch from one battery to the other to make sure everything is charged up. Much easier to just keep using a good size battery (group 65 if there's room, 24R if having to use an aftermarket battery tray, 58 if only the smaller battery fits)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The idea is to have a redundant battery backup, just in case.

Comment

I figured that much. I just don't like having to keep track of two batteries and the associated costs. But that me. I'm lazy and as long as the charging system is working... I'm good. I don't want to maintain two batteries. I also have several vehicles. I don't have to worry about one not working and not being able to go anywhere.

Comment

Stop making things more complicated than they need to be. If you're really paranoid about it, carry one of those little booster packs with you.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Stop making things more complicated than they need to be. If you're really paranoid about it, carry one of those little booster packs with you.
                            +1!
                            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_From_Red_Deer View Post
                              So I looked like a crazy person today
                              ...nothing to be ashamed of glad you got it sorted out

Comment

Working...
                              X