Transmission Removal/ install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Removal/ install?

Alright Gotta put the '91s Tranny in the '88. Any tips or tricks when going about it. Gotta drop 2 and install one. Have 2 days to do it with my buddy on the ground. advice is mucho appreciated.
    Resident diesel addict

Don't drop the transmission on your fingers. My friend lost some fingers that way...
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I got some longer bell housing bolts with a large shank so I could line the converter bolts with the flywheel easier by having the tranny farther back. Theres not too many shortcuts I've found, just gotta get under there and do it. I've done this like 12 times already. Its a pain, but take your damn time.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

My biggest annoyances when swapping C4s in the '79 were cooling lines, and dropping the dang thing off the transmission jack. Good thing I had a friend nearby with strong arms who helped me lift the thing back onto the jack. Next time I'll probably use compression fittings on the cooling lines rather than trying to make new double-flares under the car, and use a ratchet strap to make jolly sure the thing won't slide around on the jack. Well, and bolting the exhaust back up afterward wasn't much fun, but is it ever? :p Oh, and I had issues getting the tranny crossmember out, but my car is uber rusty underneath. Soaking the nuts in PB Blaster a couple days ahead of time will help lots with that, as will having an IR-231 or comparable heavy-duty impact wrench.

I don't recall much else being particularly difficult, just kind of tedious and greasy and time consuming, and I did pretty much the whole thing by myself.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

If you can get your hands on a floor transmission jack, it'll help a bit. They have a wider pad so the trans is more stable on top of it. They also usually have hand wheels to tilt the thing as needed.

Otherwise not many tricks. Just be sure you've got the torque converter studs lined up in the flexplate before tightening the bolts up, otherwise you'll ruin the pump.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Otherwise not many tricks. Just be sure you've got the torque converter studs lined up in the flexplate before tightening the bolts up, otherwise you'll ruin the pump.
            +1

And DO NOT force the converter onto the input shaft of the new transmission. I did this once on another car, and earned myself a tranny rebuild ...

Comment

How high do I need the car off the ground? the jackstands we have are rather small. extend to maybe 2 feet or so. Think they are 1.5 tons?
              Resident diesel addict

Comment

As long as you can physically maneuver the transmission under the car, even if you have to tilt it a little for the bellhousing to clear the frame, that's all that's critical, even if it's not quite comfortable (my vertical clearance whilst prostrate has been decreasing lately ....). Even nicer if you can slide it under while attached to the tranny jack.

Comment

how tall is the tranny with the bellhousing? Would a set of ramps do? I plan on buying a scissor style tranny jack for this from harbor freight.

Resident diesel addict

Comment

I'm not sure, you may be able to do with a single set of ramps in a pinch. That'll depend somewhat on your specific vehicle's ride height. It will probably be easier if both ends of the car are in the air. I've got an AOD core in the garage, so I can measure the bellhousing for you later.

Comment

Front and rear in the air helps alot. More room and its leveled up.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i want to say the trans needs about 18-20" to fit under the car on a jack. Not sure if the 3 ton jackstands or ramps will quite do it. It might but it'll be tight. 6 ton stands should do the job just fine tho.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          i want to say the trans needs about 18-20" to fit under the car on a jack. Not sure if the 3 ton jackstands or ramps will quite do it. It might but it'll be tight. 6 ton stands should do the job just fine tho.
                          That's what I measured on my core in the garage. 20" should be enough clearance to slide the tranny under the car on the floor, more if you want to roll it underneath already fastened to the jack.

Comment

DONT use the bellhousing bolts to draw the transmission to the engine. you'll waste the front pump and possible converter

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Got outta work early today to go to Harbor freight picked up 4, 6 ton Stands. Tomorrow after school the weekend project begins. Hopefully it all goes smooth.
                              Resident diesel addict

Comment

Working...
                              X