Bolt sizes/ threads: Intake/ VC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt sizes/ threads: Intake/ VC

What size are the bolts for the intake on my 1990 351 P72? Summit tells me they can be 5/16"-18, or 3/8"-16. My Ford service manual doesn't say.

I am thinking 5/16"-18, but I'm not sure.

Also, are the valve cover bolts just regular old 1/4"-20?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

yes vc's are 1/4-20
    im pretty sure that the intake is 5/16-18
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

5/16-18 sounds right to me as well.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Drive to your local Ace Hardware, pull an intake bolt at random, and go in and match it up. Then you'll know for sure!
        Just make sure to re-torque the bolt before you drive home.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks guys. They're 5/16-18
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

will that be the same as the bolts holding the upper to the lower as well? I wanna make a set of those stud-guides to ease re-installation.
            I made some 1/4 20 for the valve covers when I did the Bronco II, but its a damn metric motor, lol... I can use em next time for a box though.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
              will that be the same as the bolts holding the upper to the lower as well?
              Pretty sure it is, yeah. I don't have an EFI intake handy, but I seem to remember them being the same size.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yes, upper to lower bolts are the same thread, and size as the lower manifold to head bolts. If you're careful with your length selection you can use the same guide bolts for both. Just use them in the outer corners of the upper where the short bolts are.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X