engine bay pictures need help, new rims too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine bay pictures need help, new rims too

1) can anyone tell me why there is no washer fluid resovoir, and why it is used as a coolant resovoir?

2)is it ok for my spark plug wires to be touching metal and be where they are?

3)whats up with the big open space on the left side of the engine? im assuming thats where the a/c stuff was?

4)i finally put new tires, rims, rotors, calipers, and pads on today, 18x8 torqlites. thanks for all the help you guys.

Thats a smooth top GMQ?

Who makes those wheels? That looks sweet.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

previous owner ripped the rag off and painted it.

american racing.

Comment

Originally posted by eightysixwinter View Post
        1) can anyone tell me why there is no washer fluid resovoir, and why it is used as a coolant resovoir?
        Sounds as if someone modified it to have a bigger overflow tank. The reasons why are beyond me...

2)is it ok for my spark plug wires to be touching metal and be where they are?
        Looks like some of them are hanging down by the exhaust manifolds, and that's a big no-no. They'll get burned/melted down there. Do yourself a favor and buy some plug wire looms so that you can string them neatly through the engine bay.

3)whats up with the big open space on the left side of the engine? im assuming thats where the a/c stuff was?
        If by "the left side" you mean the passenger side, yes. Apparently someone removed all the air conditioning components.

4)i finally put new tires, rims, rotors, calipers, and pads on today, 18x8 torqlites. thanks for all the help you guys.
        Looks good!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

looks like you bought it from a tinkerer!! Nice wheels there too...

If you want a better washer/overflow setup, you can replace that big plastic and eveidently broken one with a fan shroud/coolant bottle combo from a 1990 towncar, and a washer bottle from a 90's vic/gm. This will also let you put the airfilter in a better spot too.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the looks dont bother me. but since there is no temperature gauge on the car, i dont know how im supposed to tell its over heating unless its smoking from under the hood. i dont know if this was a coolant resovoir or washer fluid resovoir, so im not sure if the low-high levels apply. the fluid level hasnt gone down or anything, but i dont know how much to fill it up if i ever have to.

Comment

its originally for both fluids - the far end is for the washer fluid, and the end closer to the radiator with the rubber hose stuck in it has a rubber plug that pops out to fill it with coolant.
              Worst case, as long as you check to make sure the radiator is mostly full after its cooled down you'll be fine. Any leak big enough to make you loose coolant over short trips should be very noticable.

Installing a temperature gauge is pretty easy - there's a stickie in the electronics section with good info on it.
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

oh nice does anyone have any temperature gauge recommendations for these cars?

Comment

sunpro is cheap and has worked great for me
                  sigpic

Comment

You don't see Slicktop GM's very often at all.

Very Nice!

Comment

Consider yourself lucky the ac crap is gone, it makes working on that side of the engine about 1000% easier, and makes it looks like an engine bay again. I used the stock wire looms off a KA24DE Nissan 240sx, needed a bit of modification, but they will bolt to your valve covers and loom up the wires very nicely, avoiding the badness that is spark plug wires touching exhaust manifolds. I see they've allrady done a coil re-locate, looks like some wiring cleanups been done in the engine bay too. I cant find any pic of my wire looms, but you should be able to grab em no prob at a pick n pull. Gotta get rid of the warm air intake. Slicktop Merc looks effing awesome...
                      sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
                      Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
                      Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
                      1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Neato pics! Odd to think that someone would eliminate the washer reservoir, though ... I need to have another look at the tank in my '81 to check how it's done.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

1) overflow tank is from a Ford truck. Its not the original overflow/wash bottle that should be there.

2) if the wires are in good shape and there are no sharp metal edges, its Ok though you should try and keep the wires away from other metal parts as much as possible, especially anything that might chafe against the wires or burn them.

3) Yep, someone gutted the AC.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

overflow tank/washer tank was removed from my 79 prior to being sold to 86winter, it is just a combo tank that didnt leak between the sides when i had it.
                            yep AC is gone along with the smog shit.
                            Glad BBUB went to someone that is taking care of it!

Comment

haha yeah i just dont know if its worth it to fix the side swipeage or not. new axle seals, and new complete rear brakes went in today though.

Comment

Working...
                              X