Rebuliding the lo-po

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuliding the lo-po

I'm about to rebuild the lo-po out of my 84 for the Maverick. I'm thinking about taking it to a machine shop and letting them put the long block together since its been so long since I've done it I would probably fuck it up. I have e7 heads for it and a offenhauser 4bbl intake. I want to find a good piston/ring/bearing kit to take to the machine shop so they don't overcharge me for parts. I all so need a good dd cam that will wake it up but not kill my wife or her purse.

Some picts of the thing how it looks now after 114k miles.

1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Cylinders look good, for 114K if you can still see the swirls.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

You don't have one of those wierdo Offy split-port intakes do you?

Also interesting that motor has valve reliefs. Wonder if those are cast pistons, or a forged unit.

Anyway, I've used speedpro and Napa engine kits before. I had no complaints with either, other than the gasket sets that come standard are nothing remarkable. Speedpro comes with FelPro gaskets, the Napa kits come with Victor Reinz, which is a Dana product. Very comparable, both had the cork vc and 4 piece oil pan gaskets, but I think they did come with the rubber china wall gaskets for the ends of the intake. I've had decent luck with 4 piece pan gaskets on engine stand installs, but the one piece ones are very nice. Its worth spending a few extra bucks on the one piece pan gasket and the better valve cover gaskets if you can afford it. I'd at least go for better vc gaskets, never had much luck with cork jobbers.

Just a bit of advice though, buy the kit after you get the motor back from the machine shop. they'll tell you what bearings and pistons you need. If you buy standard size, and it needs a crank cut or a bore job, you now have a box of useless parts that may or may not be returnable.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

maverick
        1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          You don't have one of those wierdo Offy split-port intakes do you?
          Its one of these.

Wouldn't be my first pick but I found it in the junkyard and paid $25 for it. Yeah I was wondering if I should take it to the shop first. I'm just worried about them try to rip me off. I guess I could price a few things and see what they try to charge me.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm. the pict didnt work lets try this again.
            Last edited by Pesty351; 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

You don't have to order the engine kit through the shop. I have in the past out of convenience, and really sometimes their prices are reasonable. You can always get one cheaper somewhere else, but I figure the machine shop dude has to eat too, so I'm willing to pay a little more to get the right stuff.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

your pobably saving some headache by letting them order what they need and assemble it too

atleast both sides will know whos at fault when it doesnt come together right
                1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                  I'm about to rebuild the lo-po out of my 84 for the Maverick. I'm thinking about taking it to a machine shop and letting them put the long block together since its been so long since I've done it I would probably fuck it up. I have e7 heads for it and a offenhauser 4bbl intake. I want to find a good piston/ring/bearing kit to take to the machine shop so they don't overcharge me for parts. I all so need a good dd cam that will wake it up but not kill my wife or her purse.

Some picts of the thing how it looks now after 114k miles.

second picture... is that a hole in the cylinder wall? or just dirt?
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

It's a notch in the piston, if you look at the overhead pic of the cylinders, you can see the others have a notch too. Reflection off the cylinder wall.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yup.
                      sigpic

Comment

thats a pretty good size notch. Was that thing burning a lot of oil? Pistons are pretty slimy looking.

Comment

It wasn't burning any oil I just covered it in oil and wd-40 to keep it from flash rusting.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have rebuilt several late model 302 blocks.
                            Unless the motor has been severly abused (run with no oil or overheated) they usually dont require any machining.

what I have done in the past is stripp the motor down to bare block. use a bead or Flex hone and hone the cylinders, get them as smooth as possible.
                            then take the block to the local machine shop, then them clean it, install new cam bearings and freeze plugs. then I bring the block home for the assembly.
                            new bearings, piston rings, oil pump and gaskets.
                            this method has worked well for the past 4 rebuilds.

I only had one block bored .030", installed new pistons, had the rods re-sized and installed ARP rod bolts.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Umm.. Might be a dumb ? but were 84's roller blocks or not? I thought they weren't but if that is the case whats with the xxx? BTW the machine shop wants ~650 to refresh the shortblock.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X