Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I save for my Duals, I'm wondering....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 351m View Post
    Simple way to do this is... Go get the 2.25' system done, let them know you will be back in an hour or so, go paint the pipes and drive back. Get it in the air, and show them where you want the H installed.
    I get what you are saying, but I don't think that will fly....but I'll ask.
    They probably "would" do it.......but I'm sure the price would go up.
    (tying up thier lift twice and all that)

Hmmmm......
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
      performance too?

As I recall, you got headers, but no H or X pipe right?
      I dont know how much it helped performance, but my mpg went up just a tad. yep headers, midlength headers, they have 2.5 inch collectors chocked down to 2 inch. just true duals, no H or X pipe, and no plans for one..when i first put on the duals i had manifolds though....
      sigpic

Comment

On a stock low output 5.0, I would think 2" pipes are more than adequate.

Really, if I was trying to build a decent cat-back on the cheap that would last and provide decent performance...

I'd start by obtaining an OEM h pipe from a whale.

For my burnout car:
        I took the h pipe off a 2004 P71, which was stainless. I sectioned the h, as originally the distance between pipes, center to center, is wider on the whale. Once narrowed, the h pipe flanges mate perfectly with the low output converter flanges.

On the burnout car, I just extended the h pipe and dumped the exhaust out the passenger's side.

But, for a more practical build, get a quality set of mufflers, and adapt them in. Then use OEM stainless tailpipes. You can probably find a decent whale exhaust (h and tails) in the junkyard. I got my h from an '04 P71 parts car my Dad has. But, my Dad's '99 whale also has stainless h and tails, so I'd say you can crib stainless exhaust parts from any whale.

It won't be overkill, it will sound good, look factory, and perform better.

This comes from a person who has paid alot of money for custom exhaust in the past. I spent 400 on the catback for my car (2.5"/ Flowmasters), and the quality was garbage. I paid another $400 for decent catted front pipes.

Ideally, aftermarket cat backs are the best (have one on my truck), but there are none for a box panther. But, any aftermarket cat back that isn't stainless rusts up and turns to crap anyway, like the one on my truck (stainless next time around).

Thats why I say you can't go wrong with oem stainless parts. Looks good, and lasts.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The length of the runners depend on the engine. If you have the h pipe placed with your lopo is, it won't be in the same place as a high out put motor, if you plan to do that in the future that is. This is what you should do, put your headers on, get two pieces of straight pipe, about 2 feet in length, same size as what you'd be using would be best, paint it with cheap regular white paint, not high temp or anything. tac weld them to the headers or bolt them up if you can rig something up. Then take your car out and floor it. When it's done there should be burn marks where the exhaust scavenging is the best, and that's where you put your h pipe. So take off the pipes, measure the length of them, and tell them where to hang your h pipe. You can do this all at home if you have access to a welder. Or even having the place tac them up shouldn't cost much at all. That will be tuned to that engine and that engine only though.
          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            If you buy stock stuff pipes are around..15 dollars for one...and maybe 25 for the muffler...h-pipe is a little more pricey new...but you could yank a used one and do a stock duals setup for under 75 bux if you do everything right. That alone will gain you 10-15 extra HP and of course better fuel milage.

I was just saying that the 75 dollar pipes are cheaper than $400 custom ones..

I used adapters on my setup to make it work (stock h-pipe to 2.5" mufflers/tailipes.)
            They don't fit right, they hang too low and they leak. If you're gonna pay money dor exhaust, it better fit nice and snug. IMO

Comment

-Not doing headers, or do you mean where the current Y-pipe bolts to?
              -(any HO conversions are a long ways off)(reality bites)

-Well I talked to the garage around the corner from me. Liked what he had to say.
              Basically thinking close to what P72Ford was saying. Stock H-pipe and tails, then make some nice mufflers fit. He carries those offset/angled glasspacks too.

-still on the fence though.
              Former panther owner
              1981 CV 351 4bbl
              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                -Not doing headers, or do you mean where the current Y-pipe bolts to?
                -(any HO conversions are a long ways off)(reality bites)

-Well I talked to the garage around the corner from me. Liked what he had to say.
                Basically thinking close to what P72Ford was saying. Stock H-pipe and tails, then make some nice mufflers fit. He carries those offset/angled glasspacks too.

-still on the fence though.
                yeah, if you're keeping the stock manifolds then you could go by that too. That should work just the same, but there's not much of a point to go to a bigger exhaust if you're gonna keep the same restrictive manifolds. Dual exhaust is great, and I agree with P72 about stainless steal, it may be more expensive, but it will definitely last you.

Comment

Well, that idea went out the window........I can't get the "H" and tails as cheap as I thought I could. Started adding the #'s up and was over $300, getting closer to 4(with labor).

Said screw it.......went back to plan-A

Monday October 5th = 2.25" pipe and magnaflows = $400 and hopefully me being happy.

If anyone has a good pic showing H-pipe/crossover placement on a panther could you post it up please!
                  Former panther owner
                  1981 CV 351 4bbl
                  1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    They don't fit right, they hang too low and they leak. If you're gonna pay money dor exhaust, it better fit nice and snug. IMO
                    What pipes hang low and leak?
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I believe he is referring to the impala tailpipes.

BTW- as a side note, I hooked up that code reader I bought for my car.
                      Happy to say it gave an "11", so all seems well. (must have been a temp. change adjust ment glitch)
                      Former panther owner
                      1981 CV 351 4bbl
                      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

lol .... I kind of doubt that. The 54016/7, while excessively loud per my experience, actually fit very well, and whether they leak is up to the installer.

Comment

i do all my custom exhaust with off the shelf parts........cant afford 5 grand + for a exhaust pipe bending machine......maybe some day.......i've never had anyone complain but one guy that expected his hopped up panther to be silent

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            i've never had anyone complain but one guy that expected his hopped up panther to be silent
                            Another looney like me? :p Was this a site member?

Comment

It's official, my car now has dual exhaust!.....
                              It ain't perfect, my h-pipe cross-over is kinda' different.
                              But, they did a really good job of tucking the system to maintain good ground clearance.
                              (and that's pretty important around here)
                              Attached Files
                              Former panther owner
                              1981 CV 351 4bbl
                              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Looks very nice, hows it sound?
                                1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                                1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                                1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                                1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Working...