Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I save for my Duals, I'm wondering....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both (a lot).

I know I'm probably being a pain and beating this topic to death, but I'm just trying to educate myself.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

What are you going to get when you get the duals? I want them myself but know nothing of brands, types, what to look for etc
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I dunno yet.............other than that the pipes will be all custom bent.
        I like magnaflow for brand name, but glasspacks are tempting me at the moment.
        Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

In the 4 years I have been playing with different exhaust systems on my cars
          (lost count on the variations I have done) I have learned that you should ALWAYS use what you want when it comes to muffler brand and type. It is alot cheaper the swapping later. Magnaflow will sound smoother and quieter the the glasspacks(18" body length assumed here, shorter will be louder). That said, the glasspacks will be pretty tame with the cats and LOPO in front of them.
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Well, I don't want quiet.....I have that now and don't like it.
            Do glasspacks flow comparable to magnaflow at all?
            I never see them in muffler comparisons.....and Zoomie's post has me wondering now.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Exhaust tips change how a car sounds too. The length and diameter play a part in it. If you are looking for a loud car and are running cats, don't put mufflers on. I have headers, no cats, performance mufflers, and 4 inch X 22 inch long tips. Its a good sound. Not too loud but enough u can listen to it with the windows up.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                I have dual header back 2.5" pipes on my car, with no crossover at all.
                Noticed much low-end trouble since that mod? :p Granted, a healthy 5.8L will let you pretty much smoke tires at will ...
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Noticed much low-end trouble since that mod? :p
                  No, my car was the same piece of shit that it was before the exhaust change.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I'm surprised, my 81 never had problems on low end or smoking the tires.

Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                      Exhaust tips change how a car sounds too. The length and diameter play a part in it. If you are looking for a loud car and are running cats, don't put mufflers on. I have headers, no cats, performance mufflers, and 4 inch X 22 inch long tips. Its a good sound. Not too loud but enough u can listen to it with the windows up.
                      -Not looking for overly loud, or to put "echo" tips on it.
                      I actually plan to have just plain stock-looking ends on the tailpipes.

-I want to leave my cats alone as long as they are working okay.

-I want that classic dual exhaust look and sound. (and a few more ponies)

-I want it loud enough that I can hear it running at idle......and fairly loud when I stomp it.....But I do need to keep mufflers on it though.
                      Former panther owner
                      1981 CV 351 4bbl
                      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Ok, take this with a boulder of salt, but I could've sworn I read somewhere, I think in the letters/questions section of a fairly recent issue of either Car Craft or Hot Rod, that as far as flow goes, glasspacks blow chunks relative to most aftermarket mufflers.

I have ZERO data to back this, and I am, in fact, relying on my not-all-that-spectacular memory.
                        1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                        Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                        Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                        Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

I still say Dynomax Super Turbos are a great solution for a comparatively unobtrusive performance exhaust that still sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            I still say Dynomax Super Turbos are a great solution for a comparatively unobtrusive performance exhaust that still sounds good.

Sound clip?
                            Former panther owner
                            1981 CV 351 4bbl
                            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Get the Magnaflows and have cut-outs installed right after the cats. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                                Sound clip?
                                OK, you got me there ... I still need to get a good one of my car. The "Sounds of Dynomax" feature on the Dynomax website is pretty nifty, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X