Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As I save for my Duals, I'm wondering....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'a all about personal preference.
    To me personally duals are the only way to go on a V8 car, you get the look, the sound, the performance increase. I have been wanting (true) duals for a long time now.

I just don't care for the look of a single pipe out back. I never have. On a truck I actually think a single dumped under the bed is really nice. So you get the idea......2 tailpipes for me or none at all......and in NH I can't dump the exhaust under the car or I already would have.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
      I just need an idea of total cost......because bills and this economy are killin' my fun........and it doesn't help that the single exhaust on my car is in great shape. Kind-of makes it hard to justify.
      Yeah, those Flowtech "Red Hots" louvered-core glasspacks are actually supposed to be pretty nice, with I think I've read a mellower sound than a comparable Thrush glasspack.

I agree with the hard-to-justify bit ... you could always consider just tossing a single glasspack on the existing exhaust just for kicks and giggles.

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
      And believe me, the loud exhaust gets old fast, I drove my Vic with open cats for like 3 months.
      I lasted about 5 miles of driving with open cats after my original Y pipe rotted out before I started trying to see how to drive 20 miles home with the engine at idle. I ended up not being able to hook up mufflers again for another day or two ... boy was that a painful-to-the-ears time period!

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
      I thought that was the whole reason to put performance exhaust on... To listen to it. I know that's why I do.
      LOL ... nope, performance exhaust is to provide your engine with breathing ability appropriate to your performance level. If you can have the most efficient possible flow velocity for your particular engine and still have it dead-quiet, to me that would be the ultimate performance exhaust.

A little sound can still be fun, though!

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
      It'a all about personal preference.
      To me personally duals are the only way to go on a V8 car, you get the look, the sound, the performance increase. I have been wanting (true) duals for a long time now.

I just don't care for the look of a single pipe out back. I never have. On a truck I actually think a single dumped under the bed is really nice. So you get the idea......2 tailpipes for me or none at all......and in NH I can't dump the exhaust under the car or I already would have.
      Hey, there's nothing wrong with a single exhaust that really does the job adequately. In that HOT ROD article from a few years back about a guy's '85 LTD LX with a Cobra motor swap, he had a high-flowing Y pipe behind his dual cats into a single 2.5" exhaust out the back to stock-style dual tips. His car was said to be quite quick, too.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I don't like dumping the exhaust under a car at all. Unless its a drag car with only collector extensions, or slip on race mufflers, I don't like it.

On my car, I wanted the exhaust to come out behind the rear wheels, on the side. I'd never seen a Panther with that setup, so I went for it.

On my truck, I have the loud, and louder option. Normally, the exhaust exits through dual pipes, right out the back, on either side of the license plate. It sounds great inside, but folks tell me its really loud when standing outside.

I also have an electric cutout, after the cats, which dumps the exhaust under the middle of the truck (its aimed inward and toward the ground). It is very loud inside the truck, and even louder outside; and its raspy too.

It sounds good to me both ways. It isn't deafening either way; I'm not a fan of shit that is so loud you can't enjoy driving it. We used to have only longtubes and collector extensions on the Monte Carlo, and it was deafening. I insisted on some race mufflers to quiet it down. It makes tuning easier, and there is no need to make that much noise.
        Last edited by P72Ford; 07-24-2009, 09:08 AM.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
          Hey, there's nothing wrong with a single exhaust that really does the job adequately.
          Nothing wrong with wanting a good single exhaust if that's what you like.
          But me personally......that's not what "I" like or want at all.

Kind-of funny.......I'm 40.....but more often-than-not still have the mentality of a teen-ager when it comes to car/truck stuff. I tend to get waaaay too far ahead of myself wanting this or that for whatever I'm driving.....Then have to come back to reality. Time will tell as to whether I get duals sooner or later.......but I will get them.
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Which is to say, you like spending a lot more than necessary on loud mufflers for your low-horespower street vehicle.
            I only have a Magnaflow on the Sierra, which you couldn't be more correct about being low horsepower but i'll gladly pay $90 for that sound, and the fact that the muffler will last forever, if not the exact muffler lasting forever you get a lifetime warranty. I really need to get a vid up of it, best sounding stock TBI 305 you'll ever hear in a truck makes it sound like it's got a motor not built for the low end only.

My Mustang on the other hand came with Borla Turbo's which are great but they don't have enough rumble to them. I prefer the straight through sound liek Dynomax Ultraflo, Magnaflow Performance and Borla XR-1. I know there are others like the Aero Turbine but I only heard one on a 4.6L F150 with 2 cats and a single 3" exhaust, sounded damn nice though.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
              Runnin loud pipes that end under your feet, and havin loud pipes that end under the back bumper are WAY different. When its out the back of the car its a lot quieter to you the driver than the same amount off sound commin from under your feel. That's why I don't understand people dumping exhaust under the car, and not out the back.
              As I read somewhere, the underside of the car basically acts like a big bass drum - effectively amplifying the sound inside the car (probably outside to some extent as well)
              1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
              Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
              Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
              Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
                As I read somewhere, the underside of the car basically acts like a big bass drum - effectively amplifying the sound inside the car (probably outside to some extent as well)
                Most definitely works this way in a wagon body. The back is like one big resonating chamber! Not that loud, resonant exhaust isn't plenty loud enough on a sedan, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadget73
                  Not being an engineer, I don't really understand why glasspacks would have poor flow values, but I'm not going to say its bullshit either. If you've ever seen one, you can look straight through the things. Its a pipe with some perforated holes, and a wrap of fiberglass sound deadner on the outside. I guess maybe because the dimples stick into the pipe it causes turbulence or something?
                  Well I finally got to my usual exhaust shop. I took a long look at their glasspacks. They weren't the louvered ones they were the dimpled ones, with perferated holes on one side of the dimple, possibly making them directional? The rows of dimples were spiralled too, reminded me if the inside of a gibson round muffler.

I also have no idea how well these would flow or which way to mount them....although I would think having the "open" side of the dimple face rearward would make more sense.
                  Also, while they had different lengths, they were all 2" cores, so that makes no sence to me on a 2.25" system.
                  Former panther owner
                  1981 CV 351 4bbl
                  1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Oh, most importantly......I made up my mind on what I'm doing.

2.25' duals with H-pipe all custom bent with Magnaflow mufflers.
                    This is with everything being welded and the pipes run just like the factory duals would have been.

Price they quoted me was $400.

Now I just need to save the money.
                    This is proving not so easy lateley......good thing my current exhaust is in good shape.
                    Former panther owner
                    1981 CV 351 4bbl
                    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

On the glasspack issue, yes the open part of the dimples, face the exit of the exhaust. also if it has a 2 inch core, the inside diameter of the glass pack with the dimples is something like 1 3/4 inches... thats how the glasspacks have bad flow...
                      sigpic

Comment

That's not that bad a price!

Odd about the 2" cores, though ... I wonder if their cheap 2.25" turbo mufflers were the same way?

Comment

Yep the cheap crimped together turbos get chocked down inside the muffler, smaller than the inlet and outlet.
                          sigpic

Comment

Umm... Are we talking dimples or louvers? dimples would be the indents made when they punched the holes for the perftubes (look in a Cherry bomb asspack)Cherry bombs are also the worst for a smaller core then the inlet and outlet. Louvered ones are directional, the opening on the louver faces the engine, otherwise it does nothing but act like a straight pipe.

Maybe I will go cut a flowtech red hot and a cherry bomb apart later for fun...
                            1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                            1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                            1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                            1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

I guess I was talkin about louvers. As far as I know the open part of the louvers face the exit of the exhaust. Its the spiral of them that quiets it down along with theturbulance inside the glassopack
                              sigpic

Comment

A cheap set of turbo muffs and cut-outs will give you the best of both worlds.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X