Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributer Gear

Yo fellas,

I just had my distributer swapped, my question is did I get the right distributer with the right gear? (cast iron or steel)

I asked the fellas at autozone, they didn't know and as for the mechanic I went to, well he just put a magnet to the gear to see if it is magnetic or not.

He found that My distibuter gear is magnetic, but I'm not to sure about his method
    His idea is if its magnetic its cast iron, if steel its not...
    The Vic, she runs but the mechanic said she'll run for 500-800 miles before you notice any problems if you installed the wrong type of gear... that put a frown on my face.

I dont know if I have a roller cams or flat tapped.

any thoughts of what type of gear I have?
    1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
    1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
    1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
    1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Your mechanic is an idiot. Well, that is, unless he can tell the difference in the magnetic pull of a steel versus iron gear, which I doubt.

The iron gear is easy to identify visually because it has casting crud around the sides of it. The steel gear is fully machined and lacks this feature.

What cam do you have? I can't tell you that conclusively on an Internet post without pics of your engine's guts, but we can narrow it down by what car it came in. Is your car an '86-'91 5.0 car that's 100% stock, or perhaps you've swapped in a completely stock '86-up 5.0 HO, or do you have a 351 car or earlier 5.0/4.2 car?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah I'd find someone else. The difference between iron and steel is that carbon is added to iron to make steel. So using a magnet on it ain't gonna prove or disprove anything.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

You need the steel distributor gear.

magnet proves nothing, as both steel and iron are magnetic.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

ahhh DAMIT... so you fellas are saying swap out the cast iron thats installed for a steel one?

I have a 1990 all stock LOPO motor...

today i drove my vic around and now i hearing rattleing noises when under light acceleration... dont know if the timing is off or the distributer gear is getting eaten out...

appresheate the info

Comment

If you run a cast iron gear on a steel cam, the gear will self-destruct eventually. All that metal has to go somewhere, and that place is straight into the oil. Not good. You have a steel cam, and need the steel gear to go with. All car 302's from 1986 onward are like that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

DAMIT.....

Thnx for the replies fellas

Comment

Your replacement distributor should have had a steel gear to start with. Unless it was for some truck application that used a flat tappet cam with a TFI distributor (5.8 Lightnings did, and I've heard it rumored that some 5.0 trucks did as well), all other TFI applications I know of should have used a steel distributor gear. Mark the position of the armature, pull the distributor out, and check the gear visually, and then you'll know for sure.

Comment

Can't use a 351 distributor in a 302. It won't drive the oil pump. 351's have a larger shaft for the pump. 84-85 CFI distributors are iron gear, and trucks up to 92 I think are iron.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Can't use a 351 distributor in a 302.
                    I hope no one here was thinking you could ....

So the '84-'85 CFI also used a TFI distributor, but with an iron gera?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      So the '84-'85 CFI also used a TFI distributor, but with an iron gera?
                      yeah... non-roller lifters and cam, so the cam isnt billet steel.

86 and new passenger car 302's are all roller hydraulic, so they get the double roller timing chain and billet steel cam.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                        yeah... non-roller lifters and cam, so the cam isnt billet steel.
                        Yes, we know that, but were some CFI cars actually fired by a TFI system?

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                        86 and new passenger car 302's are all roller hydraulic, so they get the double roller timing chain and billet steel cam.
                        Correction: many Crown Vic roller motors (like that out of my '87 Colony Park) came with that annoying fiber cam gear. No double-roller timing set for them.

Comment

yeah... 84 was the first year for TFI on the most V6 and V8 cars.

never seen a fiber timing gear on a late model 302... all the stuff I have taken apart had chains.

Comment

I guess I was imprecise again ... the timing chain ran over a nylon-toothed sprocket, same as on the '79 351 I disassembled. I can post pictures if it'll help, or we can let this thread get back on topic.

Comment

sorry, I mis-understood.

I have heard of the fiber/plastic timing cam gears. never actually seen one.
                              Ford seems to have a lot of production inconsistancies with the 85-87 302 engines.
                              might have had some supplier problems at the time and used whatever was available.

Comment

Working...
                              X