Free Comp Cams "CamQuest" software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Comp Cams "CamQuest" software

Anyone else tried this? I just downloaded a copy last night just to play with it. The interface is similar to Desktop Dyno, with the upshot that based on details you provide, it spits out a list of suggested stock Comp grinds and displays projected peak and average power and torque numbers for each. Now I just need to take a few minutes and put in some actual head flow numbers, since as with DD, who knows what exactly the preprogrammed flow profiles are supposed to represent.

http://www.compcams.com/downloads/register.asp
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

My only problem with a program like that is that it's issued by a parts manufacturer, so whatever you put in, it's going to be rather optimistic in the final HP/torque numbers in order to encourage you to buy their cam.

At least, that's what the cynical side of my brain is saying.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Well, it also doesn't take into account things like gearing and converter slippage like Desktop Drag does.

I guess offhand I wouldn't worry too much about it trying to get you to buy one of their cams, because it only compares Comp grinds to other Comp grinds.

Comment

I wish you could enter custom cam specs, mostly so that I could see what I could get using an Explorer or even stock 351W cam.

It is good though, as long as you keep in mind that it's optimistic.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

You can do custom cams in Desktop Dyno.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            I wish you could enter custom cam specs, mostly so that I could see what I could get using an Explorer or even stock 351W cam.

It is good though, as long as you keep in mind that it's optimistic.
            Here we go again .... which stock 351W cam?

CamQuest is intended to help you match your combo with a stock Comp grind.

DD03 has the capability to even enter both the .050 and seat-to-seat duration numbers, and let it calculate a representative ramp rate based on those figures. If you want to get real fancy, you can download the Comp master lobe catalog and punch in any conceivable combination of lobes and centerlines that will fit on a SBF cam blank.

Comment

I think ya'll are spending entirely too much time with this stupid software, and not enough time building real cars.

Comment

But racing computer dyno simulations is fun! Besides, they do at least provide a point of reference for those who aren't experienced racers (like most of us) and can, at the very least, point out obvious flaws in component selection and thus (potentially) save money.

Comment

True, but, are you putting together an engine from the ground up, or are you just trying to keep cost to a minimum? Cause this is where the difference is - it's entirely pointless to spend hours day in and day out with that software, if all you're after is 50 hp upgrade over a 200 hp factory engine...

Comment

Who said I was putting an engine together at all? This software junk is a way to toss parts at a motor at random and see what sort of screwy power curves you can get. I think we all know that the only really correct way to actually test parts is to toss them in a car and run it down a racetrack. The notion of reducing cost would be, for example, if one were on the fence about two components and could make a slightly more educated guess at what would actually work.

Though, I do agree that if someone were to actually spend "day in and day out" with the stuff, that person ought to consider counseling. And the best way to keep costs to a minimum is not to own a car.

Comment

just downloaded it, we'll see what happens, sounds intersting though!
                      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Here we go again .... which stock 351W cam?

CamQuest is intended to help you match your combo with a stock Comp grind.

DD03 has the capability to even enter both the .050 and seat-to-seat duration numbers, and let it calculate a representative ramp rate based on those figures. If you want to get real fancy, you can download the Comp master lobe catalog and punch in any conceivable combination of lobes and centerlines that will fit on a SBF cam blank.

Yeah, I wish I knew what cam was in my car. I'd like to get an idea of at what point it becomes the weakest link.

To be clear, I only have Camquest, and I guess what I'm saying is the main feature I miss on it compared to DD (which I've only used twice) is the ability to enter new cam specs.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

John, if I find the CD I have laying around someplace I can send you Desktop Dyno and Desktop Drag in a .zip file. Then again, I may have left it at my mom and dad's house...

Anyway, if I run across it, I'll let you know.

Comment

That'd be great. I'd never leave this damn computer if I had DD.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              That'd be great. I'd never leave this damn computer if I had DD.
                              Lol, i remember there was a free trial download of it somewhere, but it expired and was a one time only per computer type deal. Killed alot of spare time at work with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X