Problems with 3g alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with 3g alternator

just installed the 3g alternator in my crown vic and whenever i press the gas i get a very loud whining noise from the alternator ....

the alternator is a 200 amp ....

any ideas ??

Have you checked the battery voltage to see if its normal? Could be something wrong with the alternator. Also, the stock belt setup has a hard time handling much over 150 amps, so you might be hearing a little belt slippage. Whoever modded the alternator for more output power may have also done something wrong. Stock output is 130, so something was done to it in order to get 200 amps from it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Belt was off by just a little bit when I fired my car up after the 3g install and it whined like a bastard until the belt settled.

Did you get an aftermarket 200 amp one? Those are the only ones I've seen that high
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I see plenty of 200 amp alts for mustangs in magazines.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes, David, and none of them is an OEM unit, which was Thain's point to begin with.

Comment

I gotchya...that would just blow to be purchasing brand new BROKEN shit.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya, like Tim's steering rack on the primered Mk7 that took a gallon of fluid and then promptly pissed half of it on the garage floor...

Comment

Working...
              X