new radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new radiator

Need a new rad since mine is leaking a little bit. Gave it some pepper to plug things up temporarily.

Someone mentioned in another thread that there is a stock 2 core replacement, where would I find that? Got a rockauto #?

What does one need to know when installing or even choosing a new rad in the first place?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

p s - sorry for all of the replacement threads lately, I am definitely annoying you folks, and I apologize. I am n00b and wish not to be.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

No problem mang.

I'm not sure about rock auto, but you can keep putting in different years in their search engine, and see what comes up under the police stuff. (The bigger radiators came on cop cars.) Also you will need a different upper radiator hose. For some reason the end that attaches to the radiator is smaller.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

If you're looking for a stock replacement, just put in your make and model and it'll come up with what you need. 85 police car had a larger radiator, and thats the same application for the funky upper hose. Stock replacement should do you fine, especially up north. Price around local too, you might find one for the same price after shipping at a nearby store.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so if I were to get the police radiator, I'd need the upper rad hose as well? No fitment issues at the other end of the hose opposite the rad? How about lower hose?
          sigpic

Comment

Thicker radiator means you'll have to do a little surgery to the radiator mounts.
            I remember being told that by Gadget73.

EDIT:
            I just looked and Rock auto lists standard, 2 row, and 3 row radiators (in stock too) for 1985 LTD Crown Victoria with a G-code 351 engine.
            Last edited by andymac0035; 10-17-2009, 03:48 PM.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
              Thicker radiator means you'll have to do a little surgery to the radiator mounts.
              I remember being told that by Gadget73.
              Or you can harvest the correct brackets from a donor car like I did
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                Or you can harvest the correct brackets from a donor car like I did
                which would be just another drivers side hold down?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I found a 5.0 Mustang rad...do I want it?
                  sigpic

Comment

Sure... if you have a mustang...
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Mustang radiators are not Vic radiators. You might rig it in there, but its not what fits in that spot.

As for the brackets, I used another driver's side bracket. If you find the correct police car to steal the thing from, you'd be good but a DS bracket is easy to come by. The lower rubber blocks also need a little work with a knife to fit. Nothing major.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I put a three row in from an older year... can't remember which one right now... The upper mounts I got out of a Lincoln town car, as the mounts on one side in those cars were different, they were slightly wider, so they fit over the new 3 row radiator perfect.
                        I had to get the mounts out of two cars, since like I said there is only one wider mount in each car... When you go to the junk yard, you will see what I mean.

Part number for the 3 row is 43-3552 at Advance (Ready Rad radiators)
                        The price online was $174.99

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one...

As some of you know, I have a civilian model Canadian car with the 351W motor. There seems to be a weird mashup of civi 5.0 and police parts on the car in general.

How do I tell, looking at the radiator, if it's got the police 3 row radiator or the 2 row? I'm not really sure what the "rows" are in the context of a radiator.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

If the upper rad hose has two different sizes (one end of hose being smaller than the other) you have the 85 specific three core radiator.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one...

As some of you know, I have a civilian model Canadian car with the 351W motor. There seems to be a weird mashup of civi 5.0 and police parts on the car in general.

How do I tell, looking at the radiator, if it's got the police 3 row radiator or the 2 row? I'm not really sure what the "rows" are in the context of a radiator.
                              Thickness of radiator. 1 row is about 1 inch?

Comment

Working...
                              X