Mustang EGR spacer question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang EGR spacer question.

Why are the Mustang EGR spacers wider than the stock panther ones? I already have a HO upper installed with all that goes with it and was wondering if installing the Mustang EGR spacer, modded properly of course, would make any changes.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Actually I think they are thinner if you're looking at the distance from throttle body to upper intake. The real problem with the Mustang spacer is that the throttle cable brackets are on the wrong side.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

here is a mustang 70 mm egr spacer on a exploerer intake i modded to work with the stock cv cable bracket
      Attached Files

Comment

did mine about the same way but had to cut off the top mounting ear for my IAC to clear

throttle cable bracket is in the wrong location in both pics BTW haha i had to move it in toward the intake about an inch more

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Actually I think they are thinner if you're looking at the distance from throttle body to upper intake. The real problem with the Mustang spacer is that the throttle cable brackets are on the wrong side.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15395
          Ahh well I was given a professional products EGR spacer and just assumed that it would have been the same thickness as the stock mustang one....guess not because this one is mega thick compared to the stock LOPO panther one.

And since everyone is sharing pics of their throttle cable bracket mods (thanks BTW because not many people show them) I might as well show what I am up to and change my original question to: Does a thicker EGR spacer = any improved performance?

Here are the pics of what I have done so far:

Bored out 63mm lopo spacer on the right with the Mustang PP 64 or 65mm? Spacer on the left, one can easily see that there is no provision for the throttle cable bracket on the PP spacer:

Here I am pointing to the hump in the spacer I need to remove so that I can weld a nice plate that will later be tapped and threaded for a panther throttle cable bracket:

Here is the little markings I made letting me know how much crap to remove...basically till its a flat surface lol:

Here is the PP spacer AFTER I hacked off the hump thats in my way:

As you can see it looks as if it was never there!:

More to come!

Again my question is: Does a thicker EGR spacer = any improved performance?
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

doubt it. The extra 1/4" or whatever on the intake throat cant make enough difference to be noticeable.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              doubt it. The extra 1/4" or whatever on the intake throat cant make enough difference to be noticeable.
              Do you have any idea what the point was in making it thicker?

Here is a picture for comparison:

So i did some more work today. I made up my plate that the trottle bracket will bolt to:

Marked it where it should be welded:

Drilled and tapped the bolt holes:

~David~

Comment

There are a lot of things sold to improve performance, but in reality they usually make very very small or no difference. Throttle body spacers are among them. It harkens back to the carb days where in some cases, you can actually get some improvement with a spacer under a carb. The reasons that worked don't really apply to throttle bodies, but with good marketing, everything is worth a buck.

Comment

ahh, well it was given to me by a friend so I figured I might as well do something with it.
                  ~David~

Comment

Working...
                  X