Ign Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ign Switch

The alt in the '91 GMCP crapped & took the battery down. I swapped in a different alt & it ran ok for a few days then ate the battery, It was old so I figured the bad alt had weakened it.

The car sat for a few weeks & I had to move it for street sweeping, the booster pak couldn't turn it over I had to jump it.

Today I had to move it again & it wouldn't even jump start. I swapped a good bat into it, started right up.

I noticed the key switch felt "tight" & notice that the key was kind of sideways in the slot. The ign sw was replaced about 2 years ago.

It is also doing the headlight/ign key ding w/door open & no key, If I jiggle the key sw (no key inserted) It goes away, sometimes comes back on as the door is being swung shut....

So, It seems to be the aftermarket key switch is failing, or has anyone had any other experience w/this?

Thanks in advance......

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Maybe it would help to spray something in there like WD40? Just a thought.

Comment

Switch or lock? Switch is fine if the car starts and runs and the Accessory On position work, but it sure sounds like your lock cylinder is on the way out. I had one that up and out of the blue refused to allow me to turn the key, and I ended up drilling and chiseling it out of there. What a pain. I'd definitely swap yours out while you can still remove it normally.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

That's what I was thinking, the lock is only about 2 yrs old.
        Pilot brand, I think I'll try something different this time....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The switch causes problems too, so you might want to look at both. Usually the lock cylinder isn't an issue though, its the electrical part of the switch falling apart thats the issue. Once you pop the column shroud off you should be able to tell whats going on. If its the switch, see if you can get a Motorcraft one. They're not very expensive and usually better quality than aftermarket ones.

And yeah if its the cyl, get it out of there while you can. When those break its a royal PITA getting it out.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did I mention that my above-referenced lock cylinder up and broke while I was sort of not at home? I was lucky that it did at least have the decency to die in my mother in law's condo parking lot, so that I was at least able to borrow her car to run home and fetch tools. Otherwise, I would have experienced a good deal more hassle than I did.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The cylinder in my 91 will let you start the car with any key, and pull it out while its running. Ive been putting off replacing it but maybe I should!
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                The cylinder in my 91 will let you start the car with any key, and pull it out while its running. Ive been putting off replacing it but maybe I should!
                Information like that you are supposed to keep secret. lol
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

And just where in Va do you live?.... LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X