Install Temp gauge on CFI engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Temp gauge on CFI engine

I want to put a manual temp gauge on my 302(cfi). Are either of the temp sensors in the manifold just for the dummy light on the dash so I could replace it with my temp sensor?
    '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
    only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks. Now to brave the cold and get the gauge installed.

Does anyone know at what temp it should stop running rich?

Comment

Were some of those pictures dead remotes?

The stock 'dummy light' coolant temperature 'switch' sender is in the very left front corner of the lower intake manifold. This is what most folks replace with a sensor when installing a gauge. You may need a size adapter for the sensor, but one should come with the aftermarket gauge.
        How rich is it running cold? if everything is working right it shouldn't run noticeably rich at all... but with CFI especially things sometimes don't work as they should. I got tired of always messing with my CFI and evolved it
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          Were some of those pictures dead remotes?

The stock 'dummy light' coolant temperature 'switch' sender is in the very left front corner of the lower intake manifold. This is what most folks replace with a sensor when installing a gauge. You may need a size adapter for the sensor, but one should come with the aftermarket gauge.
          How rich is it running cold? if everything is working right it shouldn't run noticeably rich at all... but with CFI especially things sometimes don't work as they should. I got tired of always messing with my CFI and evolved it
          Yeah, a bunch of the pics in the thread are dead but I got a good idea from the text. I read the entire thread as eventually I want to do other gauges.

Once it is what I think is warm it runs a bit rich, it is stumbling when I take off from sitting in gear stopped for a bit(unless I two foot it to give it a little gas while sitting) and I can smell gas in the exhaust. I'm actually going to be going the other way when I put a 351 in it. I'll be going to a carb. Eventually I'm hoping to go to multi-point efi but I won't have the money to rebuild the 351 and put multi-point efi on it now.

Comment

Have you done much poking around yet? If you luck out it sounds like typical vacuum leak or EGR valve stuck open.
            I should update those pics... and the whole thread... hhmmmm
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

check your O2 sensor too if that doesn't help. Seems that when they fail, the cfi runs really rich and it dips into the fuel economy pretty badly. New sensor is less than 20 bucks for the universal one, you just have to splice the plug from your existing one onto the new one.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I cleaned the EGR, full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap & rotor), fixed one vacuum leak, adjusted timeing to 12 degrees and installed my MSD stuff(coil and MSD 5 multi spark box). Before the tune-up it plain out ran awful and it desperately needed it, some PO put new wires on but the plugs, cap & rotor were all original. I'm still wondering who puts new wires on but not plugs, generally it is the other way around.

I need to do some more vacuum leak checking. Even with it running better after the tune up I'm still lucky if I get 10mpg. I'm installing the temp sensor and thinking of running some wires from the O2(to use my DMM to get an air/fuel mix reading) so I can have a better idea of some vital signs of the engine.

I forgot these just have the one wire O2 so they are dirt cheap, still would rather get some more info from the engine before I start replacing parts. I was curious how much affect they had on the engine being as old as it is. This thing is old enough that an exhaust leak after the cats would not affect the O2 reading right? I know some newer cars it possibly could but I figure this thing is plenty old to not be affected.

Comment

Working...
                X