What do you reccomend for a tune up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you reccomend for a tune up?

Want to do a tune up on my car, looking at mallory racing wires, new cap and rotor, new fuel filter.. anything I am missing? Let me know what you recommend.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Well plugs, air filter, pcv valve, oil change (if you havn't done it) and coolant change. Other then that everything else should keep her purring. Oh ya, and you might want to replace the thermostat as those tend to wear out and cause it to run hotter then it should or even overheat. Btw that is one hot MGM.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "betsy" 5.0 lopo w/AOD with around 160k. Aka The Land Yacht aka Betsy.

Comment

thanks, can't believe I forgot plugs... I feel like an idiot. Running aimsoil synthetic and that has another 3k before I need to change it. May tackle flushing the coolant. The ford garage is going to be after me to do it when It goes in for inspection next week, they always offer for additional $$. Runs cool as is (according to dummy gauge) and has nice heat so thermostat is probably alright.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

9mm ford racing wires and motorcraft everything else
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Motorcraft caps suck, aluminum terminals. Anything with a brass terminal will do. I've used Accel and Blue Streak with good luck. I think right now I've got Napa Premium parts on both cars.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thank you gadget.
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Motorcraft caps suck, aluminum terminals. Anything with a brass terminal will do. I've used Accel and Blue Streak with good luck. I think right now I've got Napa Premium parts on both cars.
              really? good to know!
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I always use the brass caps, the aluminum ones corrode.....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Accel cap/rotor (ALUMINIUM TERMINALS)
                  Motorcraft plugs gapped at .052"
                  Ford racing wires if you can swing it, otherwise just any decent premium (not budget) set of wires

PCV valve, screen

Inspect vacuum hoses, especially the one to the MAP.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

+3 on the caps with brass terminals

change the fuel filter

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It's always good idea to replace the t-stat if it hasn't been replaced in a while as they can get cooroded and gumed up thus causing a problem with cooling. Its cheap and if your going to do a coolant flush anyways, its worth the extra bit of work to make sure its replaced.
                      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "betsy" 5.0 lopo w/AOD with around 160k. Aka The Land Yacht aka Betsy.

Comment

Originally posted by jsawyer1181 View Post
                        it's always good idea to replace the t-stat if it hasn't been replaced in a while as they can get cooroded and gumed up thus causing a problem with cooling. Its cheap and if your going to do a coolant flush anyways, its worth the extra bit of work to make sure its replaced.
                        This
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Alright i will take a look at that, but I do not think i am going to do a coolant flush just yet.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Belts, hoses OK?

Pete
                            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                              Belts, hoses OK?

Pete
                              Yeah it was reccomended that I change the upper radiator hose if it is old though.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X