fluid sealants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fluid sealants?

Just curious if anyone knew more about the chemistry of these magic potions?

Specifically when I had a power steering leak last week (probably ongoing over the past month...) autozone sold me a bottle of leak sealant.
    They make similar things for radiators for sure, maybe for engine oil leaks and for fuel lines?

My suspicion is that these must be bad: anything that fills in gaskets, will fill in other stuff, and by definition can't perform as a proper lubricant?

But curious what others' real experiences have been.

My rule of thumb is generally to avoid products advertised to magically seal leaks, so I'd suggest taking that bottle back. I remember once (before I was "allowed" to work on my own stuff) visiting a radiator shop after having used stopleak, and they were pretty insistent on charging me $50 for a flush after they sealed up my leaky water neck.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
      Just curious if anyone knew more about the chemistry of these magic potions?

Specifically when I had a power steering leak last week (probably ongoing over the past month...) autozone sold me a bottle of leak sealant.
      They make similar things for radiators for sure, maybe for engine oil leaks and for fuel lines?

My suspicion is that these must be bad: anything that fills in gaskets, will fill in other stuff, and by definition can't perform as a proper lubricant?

But curious what others' real experiences have been.
      Radiator stop leak leaves the most unbelievable gunk in the radiator. Don't do it. I've found that most of them are snake oil.

Long story short: If it leaks, fix it. Replace the seal, gasket, whatever. Don't trust a magic potion to do it for you.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Lucas power steering stop leak works. It's the only thing like it I've ever tried, I put some in not too long after I bought my car because it was dripping a bit of p/s fluid, enough to matter, but I haven't had a drop in fluid level at all since then.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yeah, the Lucas does work for slow seeps around the seals. I actually use it to shut up noisy pumps that a fluid flush won't take care of. It doesn't take much. Last time I needed any, I bet I didn't use 1/4 of the bottle and it silenced the pump. Fresh fluid of the correct type will do more to shut a PS pump up than magic potions will though, and its certainly safer. Unless the leak is very minor though, I wouldn't expect much out of any sort of stop leak potion.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1/4 of the bottle sounds about right. Most of it is still in the bottle sitting on my shelf
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

+3 on the Lucas power steering stop leak...
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

it's all bullshit... even if it does work it doesn't belong in your vehicle.

91waggin is spot on
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I put power steering stop leak in an '87 tbird once for the leaking front seal on the pump. Ended up replacing that and the whole steering rack AND hoses because it swelled everything that was rubber. Worse $2 I ever spent. I don't remember the brand.

If I absolutely had to use a stop leak, I'd trust lucas.

But I find is a lot better to replace a $3 seal and permanently fix the problem. I put new seals on my steering box of teh wagon. Now the pump is starting to leak so that'll get resealed too.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I've learned over the past few years that any "Stop leak" item is a joke. Out of the 13904394 things I tried (PS stop leak, radiator stop leaks, oil stop leaks, etc), only one worked.... Bar's radiator stop leak. It worked for 2 weeks until I got paid so I could get my new radiator.
                    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
                    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
                    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

Stop leak + Radiator = brown shitty clogged coolant passages.

Comment

Leaky radiator plus egg equals non leaky radiator. not sure how long it will work though, and can't be good for anything.
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                        X