Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 CFI stumble just off idle, HELP!

Hi,

my 1985 Colony Park with a stock 5.0 CFI is getting me going nuts on just one thing: it stumbles and shudders.

It is a 91000 miles engine I bought a year ago. It always had this problem, but I can't find the reason why.

Just of idle 1500/2000 rpm the car shudders from what seems like a misfire from the engine. It does that especially when it is cold, when the engine is hot it is less and sometimes even disappears.

I checked:
    vacuum leaks, can't find anything
    TFI: new
    distributer, new sensor
    Wiring: checked, couldn't find a thing
    Fuel filter: new
    Injector filters: new
    Plugs: new
    Plug wire: new
    TPS: measured (steady voltage change during sweep), voltage set at closed throttle: 1.1 volt
    Codes: none
    AOD: oil level good
    Differential: good fluid level, no strange sounds

More ideas? I want to change temp sensor and EEC.

Regards from the Netherlands,

Adam
    Click on picture to see the video!

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

check the wire to the crank position sensor. another member had that problem and that seemed to be the cause.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yes if you have backfire that is a symptom of a bad crank position sensor. I just got my new one from rockauto today and going to install it hopefully it fixes it. Does it also fell like it want's to cut out and die when you deaccelerate. If the CPS looks crusty or starts falling apart when you touch it replace it. mine fell apart when i touched the sensor.

this website will help you diagnose problems caused by a bad cps.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

his does not have a crank position sensor.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ok... then what does it have? Does it have TFI? does it have a distributor position sensor? What the 85 version got that tells it when to spark?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

EGR position sensor.

Been there, done that on my 85
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              ok... then what does it have? Does it have TFI? does it have a distributor position sensor? What the 85 version got that tells it when to spark?
              80-83 has EEC III and the crank sensor. 84-85 has EEC IV with the TFI module.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
                EGR position sensor.

Been there, done that on my 85
                I will look at egr sensor! A'dam

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Deermann View Post
                  I will look at egr sensor! A'dam
                  Done! I swapped the egr. I measured the resistance of 3 different egr i had lying around, all different. I swapped it with one from a 87 thunderbird. Gone is the shuddering. Thanks! Bedankt, Adam

Comment

My EGR was clean as a whistle, but the sensor itself was bad, It's just as easy, easier actually, to pull the whole EGR.

Glad it worked.
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

last time I tried changing one of those stupid sensors, the stud on the back of the egr valve snapped off and I had to change the whole thing anyway.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I figured it looked easier to pull two bolts than the three screws and you can check the egr at the same time.
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Also believe it or not, it could be torque converter shudder, I have had this problem in AODs and AODEs, if the fluid and filter is old try draining it all including torque converter and replacing the filter.

Comment

the AOD cannot have torque converter shudder. Its a mechanical impossibility. The AODE has a completely different style of converter with clutches, the AOD doesn't have that. The way lockup is done on an AOD is by using two input shafts, one that is driven straight off the shell of the converter via a welded spline socket. No clutches to chatter like most other lockup transmissions. Shuddering with an AOD is often very low TV pressure, usually low to the point of being fatal to the trans if its ignored.

Comment

Mmmm, not finished yet.... It is still there, it is now giving codes: all egr related. Looked into it, the sensor for a 89 Thunderbird is not the same as the one for a 85 GM. I ordered a new one from Rockauto.

I als wanted to set the TV cable, seems that it doesn't have a TV cable, but a TV rod, which is not that easy to checq. I have to look into that (has anyone done that, seems you need a pressure gauge at the AOD).
                              The oil for the AOD seems to be old and overfilled. I'm going to change that to....

Groetjes,

Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X