How are misfires detected in OBD-II ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are misfires detected in OBD-II ?

Had a crazy idea today: adding OBD-II to an old vehicle. I know that a OBD-I panther was converted using the newer harness, but what about for a carbureted vehicle? I am a senior in computer engineering so I technically could do something like this if I thought it out well enough, but my main question is this: how does the OBD-II computer determine misfires? Does it monitor spark? Monitor the opening of the injectors?

It watches the CPS.
    -Michael

Comment

A OBD-II Carb car?

Now i've heard it all
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by texasvic
        It watches the CPS.
        Crank or cam?

What does it do with it? Coordinate data between where the crank/cam should be and where spark is?

Comment

Crack, crack I say!!!
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Crankshaft position sensor. The OBD-II looks for a deacceleration.

Here's a quick link

Linky...

Another feature of OBD II is its measurement of engine misfire. For this the system uses a crankshaft-position sensor, which can observe minute fluctuations in crankshaft acceleration and rotational speed that occur with a misfire. The problem here comes in when shifting or driving on rough roads: these and other forms of driveline shock also influence crankshaft fluctuations.

So some automakers use such devices as accelerometers, the ABS system, or an internal engine algorithm to determine if the vehicle is riding on a rough road. If it is, the system can unlock the torque-converter clutch to dampen some of the shock so it won't be transferred to the engine. Now here's the really bad part: since it is impossible to do this clutch-disengagement on manual transmission cars, some of those models with manual are no longer produced due to their engine-misfire false alarm problems.

Also, detecting misfire is difficult in some engines at high rpm, where the ignition pulse rate is almost submerged by the engine's inertia, making it hard to decipher signals from the sensors. Plus, inline 5-cylinder engines, V-10s, and certain V-6s can create erratic crankshaft-speed readings throughout their speed range. Inline-6s can be strange also, so the signals from a crankshaft-position sensor need to be carefully filtered and processed to be dependable.

Some systems are really high-tech. They measure misfire by measuring the electrical values of the ionized gas between the spark plug electrodes. Needless to say, this system is expensive.
            -Michael

Comment

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                I say the same thing about your rediculous LED's. At least an OBD-II system would be of some use.

Anyways--I would have thought the computer would be monitoring spark, not the cam. Sounds pretty complicationed; maybe something for me to tackle after a few years in industry.

Comment

what would you use the OBD system for on a carburated engine?
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                    what would you use the OBD system for on a carburated engine?
                    No idea--I was just thinking out loud.

Comment

i would not think that there would be much for it to do. Maybe monitor everything but it could not really change anything.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I don't exactly know why youd want to do but you could. It be one of a kind that way. The only one in the world.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

-10 points for non factory-correct computerized engine controls.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

'89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
                              Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                              I say the same thing about your rediculous LED's. At least an OBD-II system would be of some use.
                              at least my LEDs are pheasable, and doable, and functional.
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X