possible over-heating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible over-heating problem

my towncar has overheated a few times in the past few months, I found out it had a leak in the radiator. So I got a new radiator and a new thermostat and all pressure tested and correct levels and stuff. I also know my fan clutch is good. I noticed after it ran today I heard a boiling noise comming from the radiator hose and a little bit of coolant boiled over into the overflow tank. Is this normal? Are there any other temperature sending units or electrical things that need to be checked on my 5.0's system?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

My suggestion is to install a REAL mecanical temp gauge.

I wouldnt trust anything else.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Boiling is not good. Try a new thermostat.

Comment

No, thats not normal. What does your in-dash temp guage say, or do you have digital dash and the useless idiot light setup? If you have the standard guage, and it doesn't move, you probably need a new sensor. Ground the wire with the ignition on, and if the guage pegs out, then the guage itself works, and the sensor is gone. If its the idiot light, remove that POS and install a real guage. The sensor you seek is at the front edge of the intake manifold on the driver's side. The stock sender has a single wire connected to it, and I think the hex part take a 13/16" socket, or something close to that size.

The other thing I will ask, once you filled the radiator after changing it and doing the thermostat, did you run the engine till it warmed up fully, then re-check the fluid level? If not, you probably had air in the system that was displaced once the thermostat opened. If thats the case, top it off again and see if the problem happens again.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i have the idiot light, i checked the coolant level after letting it run and it was full and normal. i need to get a real gauge hooked up
          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

did you put the thermostat in backwards?
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
            X