85 CFI uneven idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 CFI uneven idle

My 85 LTC doesn't seem to idle right when it's warm. If I start it up in park, it will idle just fine and it drives fine, but after driving fine, I'll pull into a parking spot and it's idling fine, but once I put it into park, the idle is really uneven, like it cycles from somewhere in-between 500-1000.

Any ideas?

You might want to check your fuel injectors with a timing light. With your timing light hooked up and the car running you can check if your injectors have a good spray pattern. If they don't, you can try adding injector cleaner for a few tanks of gas or replacing injectors if thats your problem.

Or it could be something with your EGR valve, but I'm betting injectors

Isaiah

Comment

When was the last tuneup? How old is the fuel filter? Have you replaced the vacuum lines? Usually doing that stuff fixes a lot of the CFI demons. Sometimes it will give you useful codes too, but I wouldn't count on it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, breather filter, the oil cap/pcv valve, a good spray down of the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and a Seafoaming) in May, which was about 3000 miles ago.

Comment

Hey mangs, my Ž83 Country Squire w/CFI idles actually pretty smoothly on cold engine. When hot, idle becomes uneven, it travels up & down a bit all the time. Gonna do some tune-up but IŽd like to have an opinion about what I should check first.

Comment

Check the vacuum lines. Leaks will cause idle problems. A bad oxygen sensor could also contribute to this, but maybe not.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine did that too... I just rigged my throttle stepper solenoid to a switch so I had manual control of about 500 rpms at idle. I just flipped the switch when it started to act funny, so it at least wouldn't stall out.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
              X