Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to buy resonators and tail pipes

Hi,
    The Grand Marquis is back in service. The NO SHIFT 1-2 was the governor needed replacing.

I now have the 1991 GM back on the road with NO CATS, shorty headers, H-pipe, with glass packs dumping down and under the car before the rear axle With NO TAIL PIPES. I want to quiet it down a 'little bit' by adding a resonator and tail pipes to each side and turning down on each corner under the rear bumper like a Crown Vic Interceptor does.

What size and which resonator should I use and which tailpipes? Impala or Crown Vic?

I am hoping no torque loss by doing this. Any comments on torque and horse power in relations to the resonator length and the size of exhaust, mostly from the glass packs back.

Thank you again,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

resonators are basically glasspacks

what size pipe are the mufflers?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Putting tailpipes on it will quiet it down a lot by itself.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        Putting tailpipes on it will quiet it down a lot by itself.
        +1 putting the sound another 4 feet behind you where it doesn't reflect up and into the car will make a huge difference.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The reason I mention the resonators is that I am looking for something that sounds like this video of the Arvinode system used on old 1964-1966 Mustangs with a 289 engine.

I like the sound of the Arvinode system. I don't want it to be too quiet, just toned down a bit when I get into it a little using the glass packs I already have on the car. On the freeway it sounds cool, but neighborhood driving is a bit too loud.

Thank you,
          90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
          90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
          91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
          70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            +1 putting the sound another 4 feet behind you where it doesn't reflect up and into the car will make a huge difference.

LOL. That depends a lot on how much you can tolerate in the way of resonance. Which is why I was so interested in packman's different-size-mufflers experiment that he claims eliminated resonance with his full 2.5" system without having to add resonators.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I wonder:::::::: if the larger the tailpipes or the larger the resonator along with tailpipes do you lose any low end torque. Keep in mind each of these setup would be with glass packs and without any cat convertors.
              Attached Files

Comment

no... tail pipes mainly change and channel the sound... all the power related stuff is taken care of between the block and where the H or X pipes would be... by that point... all back pressure that can be built, will be built. Usually that's taken care of by the end of the cats I would think. I could be mistaken though. I am only a novice with fluid dynamics.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X