Valve cover leaks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover leaks...

Just got a 91 GM with 69,000 miles a few weeks ago, been driving it around town for a while and it runs real smooth with no ticks or clunks or anything. Its leaking oil from the valve covers and getting on the manifolds and causing a little bit of smoke (and it gets smelly in the cabin).
    Question is, since im going to be installing some valve cover gaskets in it (seems pretty easy according to the manual), is there anything else i should be replacing while im in there? should i go ahead and reaplace the head and manifold gaskets as well? if im missing anything let me know, just trying to get it to be a good daily driver.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis

Pretty much any and all vacuum lines while you have the upper intake off, and the pcv valve, grommet, and screen.

Do not use cork gasket's on the valve covers. Spend a little extra and get the rubber/steel ones (preferably Felpro Permadrys).
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I wouldn't bother with head or even intake to head/block gaskets. Head gaskets are not a common failure point, and intake gaskets are just best left unfuckedwith if you can.

Do what Pantera said.

Also take a look with a straight edge against the sealing surface of the valve covers, and make sure it's not indented (pushed close to the head surface) around the boltholes. Often this happens when someone re-tightens the bolts to try and fix a leak, when the gaskets are really all crumbled. Once this happens, you need to straighten the sealing surface out, at least so that it's not visible by eyeballing it, or you won't seal the valve cover mating surface. A HUGE +1 on the rubber gaskets. The permadries have a neat little metal ring around the bolthole which helps prevent the aformention warping problem. Downside is that it will not be able to mask an already warped cover as much.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

You have it a bit easier since its a 90-91, the fragile plastic vacuum lines are a bit easier to deal with when you remove the upper intake manifold.
        If you want, you can also replace the injector 0-rings while you're at it, they are known to leak.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks so much for all the info so far, much appreciated.
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis

Comment

Working...
          X