lower intake gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lower intake gaskets

Should I do standard (metal?), or graphite (apparently offered if you source for an exploder)?
    Do you guys like to use the rubber pieces provided for the ends, or simply spread a generous bead of "the right stuff" silicone gasket maker?
    And speaking if silicone, where do I silicone it, and where don't I, so it doesn't ever, ever leak in the next 20 years?

I want to do this right, and I know others have had problems getting their lower gasket to seal completely/ stay sealed. It's got those opposing angles, not so direct a clamping force as headgaskets say.

thanks!
    -Bernard

felpro permadry for a box vic........use rtv in the corners where the gaskets meet.
    i like ultra black or ultra grey.......not a fan of right stuff, it's ok, but permatex is stuff oem's use

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

silicone the front and back, i use ultra black ans use permadrys as scott said
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Big fan of the permadry line myself. I always use the intake set for the appropriate year explorer when using explorer heads. They are practically perfectly matched to the intake ports on the heads...the ones I've gotten for E7's over the years have been smaller. Any time I install an intake, I use a bead of Ultra Gray instead of the end seals...unless they are the rubber end seals then just a dab of silicone in the corners where they meet the intake.

In other words... what they said! ^^^

Good luck,
        Don
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I use the rubber endwalls, but only the Permadry kind. Small daub in the corners and it doesnt leak. The cork endwalls puke oil like crazy if you don't get them exactly right, and its so easy to knock them out of position. I usually just do RTV in that case.

Small trick to help line things up and hold the gaskets in place. Get some threaded rod, or just long 5/16" bolts and lop the heads off. Thread these pins into the corners where the lower intake sits, and use them as guide pins to hold the gaskets and guide the lower intake in position. No worries about knocking the gasket off because the intake shifted a little bit.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Permadry have never given me problems. Those metal reinforced valve cover gaskets are great too.

FWIW felpro make the good metal reinforced intake gaskets for GM 3*00 series motors as well. If you ever need to do gaskets on one of them and don't want a comeback, use the Felpro metal reinforced.

If the rubber end pieces for the block rail have those little locating nubs on them, I will use them with a dollop of RTV in the corners where it meets the LIM gaskets.
            Last edited by 1990LTD; 07-20-2012, 09:23 PM.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

awesome, sounds like I'm set then.
              A coworker was just advising that I also let the rtv cure, just a little bit, so that it's firmer and resistances squishing out completely when I bolt down the intake?

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                awesome, sounds like I'm set then.
                A coworker was just advising that I also let the rtv cure, just a little bit, so that it's firmer and resistances squishing out completely when I bolt down the intake?
                yup thats a big 10-4 , let it sit a little bit , 15 min or so
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

something else, you'll need to run through the torque pattern on the lower intake 2-3 times at least. basically when it stops turning the bolts before the wrench clicks, you're done.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And then you're supposed to retorque after 10 minutes of runtime.

Comment

yeah i don't bother with that. Not interested in removing the upper intake again to dick with it all over again.

Comment

one last question; do you like to use silicone around the coolant jackets, or leave it alone?

Comment

I've done it both ways, haven't had trouble with it either way as long as the mating surfaces are properly clean. If you do use the silicone, go very light with it.

Comment

Go easy on those bolts taking them out... if they resist too much I'd apply some heat and soak some PB blaster. I'd replace them with all new bolts but if you must re-use the ones with studs on the end, make sure they don't look corroded between the head and the threads. I broke three of them when I did my truck, and even broke one that looked fine when putting it back in (before the torque wrench clicked).
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                            X