timing chain replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing chain replacement

I'm just curious at this point. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this weird idle issue.

Stock EFI 302 w/ about 168,000 miles. No trouble codes are being thrown. All maintenance was done this spring (plugs, wires, etc.). Running out of ideas for a fix.

What is the procedure to replace the timing chain and gears? Any special tools needed? What else should be done (water pump, front seal, etc?)? How big of a job is it for someone who hasn't done it before? How long would be too long for a shop to do it?

Should I stick with a new stock chain and gears or go with something else? I thought someone once said we could use the mustang chain and gears on these cars. Does it matter?

I'll check with the two places I do business with in town and let you guys know what they will run me for cost. I want to do it myself if at all possible.

I'm not sure I'd go straight to timing chain. But generally here is how it's done
    Special tools: harmonic balancer puller
    Other things you should replace while this is apart: front crank seal, water pump.
    If you've got a shop manual it should give better instructions, but essentially, you pull the brackets off the front of the motor. Pull the water pump, then you can access all the timing cover bolts. Remove the crank pulley, pull the balancer. Remove all the timing cover bolts including the two front oil pan bolts. Timing cover will then pop off. Turn the crankshaft untill the dot on the cam gear and the dot on the crank gear align. Unbolt the 3 cam gear bolts, smack the gear with a rubber mallet and it'll come off. Chain just comes right off, and you can slide the lower gear off. Install is reverse. I'd reccomend a double roller timing chain as a replacement. Just request one for an 88 Mustang and it should be a double roller unit. You can tell because the gears for a double roller chain have two narrow rows of teeth vs a single wide tooth. Double roller chains stretch less over time.

What exactly have you done to correct the idle issue? And whats it doing? I read in your other thread rough idle and its using more gas. I'd think about checking the fuel pressure, and checking to see if you have a leak in the system somewhere. With the fuel pressure guage hooked up, shut the motor off. The pressure should hold pretty steady. If it falls off, you have a leaky injector or a bad regulator or something.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

heres what u can do to check the chain for slack

15/16" socket on the crank bolt
      turn ignition off
      pull the coil wire
      pull off the dist cap and pull it aside
      now move the crankshaft clockwise till the rotor moves
      now move counterclockwise.....if the chain is tight, the rotor will move right away........you will be able to telll if theres alot of play

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm more or less just getting the info so I'm more prepared if the problem needs fixing.

Comment

If you do that, might as well convert to HO
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

:stupid:

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Yeah, if you have the timing chain off, its literally just another bolt to get the cam out. You'll need to take the intake off to remove the lifters though, and for a proper conversion you need to change the heads, tho its not absolutely needed.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, if I'm able to get that job down the street I'll start tearing things apart since I wouldn't have to drive to work. Headers and cat removal could be done. And if I can afford it I may consider the HO conversion.

*crosses fingers for job down the street*

Comment

timing chain isnt for the beginner... i found out the hard way, lol
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                    if the chain is tight, the rotor will move right away........you will be able to telll if theres alot of play
                    At 168K mi, can't we be pretty sure there wil be play? With this method, how much is "too much"? My chain seemed sloppy at half that mileage.
                    FOR SALE: 89 Grand Marquis GS HO. Quarter mile = 15.8 @ 87mph -- pics http://public.fotki.com/vfr700f2/car...rcycl/mercury/

Junkyard HO, MSD wires, stock Mustang headers, off-road H, Hemi Super Turbos. 3.55 trac loc, HO governor and servo in stock rebuilt AOD. 3-row rad, air pump delete, cop rear bar, wagon rear springs, 93 CV rear discs, 98-02 Grand Marquis wheels, Class 3 hitch, aluminum space-saver spare.

Coming soon: 98-02 front brakes, cop springs, Monroe cop shocks, 96 Cobra wheels w/255/50/17. Better yet, need a nice wagon to put all that stuff in.

Comment

Kevin's car is a freak tho
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

somebody should put up a timing chain replacement procedure with pictures "hint hint"
                        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I think two guys named Chilton and Haynes did. If not, I'm sure Henry's buddy Helm has.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                            Yeah, if you have the timing chain off, its literally just another bolt to get the cam out. You'll need to take the intake off to remove the lifters though, and for a proper conversion you need to change the heads, tho its not absolutely needed.
                            BTW... once the timing chain is off, there are TWO bolts that hold the cam retainer plate on.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

gear drive

Gear Drive

GeAr DrIvE

GEAR DRIVE

GEAR DRIVE

GEAR DRIVE
                              2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X