1985 grand marquis CFI igntition timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 grand marquis CFI igntition timing question

I have an 85 marq with the awesome cfi I have taken out the cats changed damn near every sensor tuned it up and my question is can i bump the ignition timing? and if so any particulars 10 degrees btdc or ? dont wana go crazy trying for some more mpgs

CFI is typically really pissy about timing. Bump it 1-2 degrees at a time and drive it around. If it pings, go back to the last setting.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I bumped up the fuel pressure via the fuel press regulater to bout 42 psi that may help

Comment

It has more to do with the programming in the computer. It's very aggressive IIRC. Just know that CFI usually won't take well to timing changes like EFI can.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well o guess its best to check it and make sure its right first if not ill just get it to stock

Comment

the most timing i got with my old 84 cfi was 12 and it seemed to like it but the fp up it should make a big help.
            1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
            1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

The CFI tends to run a little on the lean side, and it is a little more agressive with the timing than SEFI so it may not take much advance. Make sure its correct first, then try advancing it 2 degrees at a time until it pings, then back off 2 degrees to make sure it doesn't rattle. Don't be too surprised if it won't go very much past the stock values.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My 85 used to ping at 8 degrees on premium gas. After the SEFI swap, I have it at 14 degrees and it runs great on regular gas... all the ignition parts are the same, I didn't even have to pull and re-set the distributor. Unless I had some bad CFI wiring, it was just the CFI. lol...
                I actually read a TSB for CFI cars that advised to retard the timing, which is why I did it.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                X