Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra maintenance/performance suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

without changing the heads and the cam you're certainly limited but that doesn't mean it cant be better than it is now. A tweaked lopo still won't run like an HO, but its better than a sharp stick in the eye. Mostly where you see/feel the difference is high rpm performance. The lopo is just done over about 4200 rpm no matter what you do with it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Let me put it this way, my 91 Grand Marq, bone stock with 3.08's, only mod being factory duals, dropped from an 11.53 in the 1/8, to a 11.39 doing nothing but the HO upper/TB/EGR space. Now, that's really slow, and slightly less slow, but it's a damn big improvement for what it is.

My 91 wagon, with 244K miles on the stock lopo, still runs a 16.7 in the 1/4. Now that's not fast, but for a worn out old lopo, not bad at all. That's with nothing but bolt on's. Brand new these car's ran low to high 17's, if not slower.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Okay guys, sorry it's been a bit since I've been on but that whole life thing really gets in the way.

Anyways, an update. Had to postpone putting everything back in because I forgot to order some gaskets and it's been pretty cold yet so spending more then a couple hours in the shop isn't very enjoyable. And to answer a point brought up by pantera77, yes I am using Perma-Dry valve cover gaskets. But when I was moving the throttle cable assembly around, this happened...

I guess it was just too cold for the plastic. Here's a bit of a close-up

How detrimental is this? I know I gotta change the TV grommet, was going to anyways, but what of the TV cables holder? Doesn't look like it comes off that easily.

As far as performance is concerned, I'm not worried about massive high rpm power gains. It's a Town Car and I drive it like one. Not that I don't like more power, but these cars are not fast by any means and I'm totally fine with that. Just wanna little boost down low to help this beast move out of it's own way. And without dropping too much mpg.
        '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
        '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

best bet is to use some epoxy and glue some tabs on it somehow... or replace the whole thing. Also, get a brass bushing and clip for that connection to the throttle body.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I figured I would try to Dremel a slot into it and see if I can't fashion a clip or pin for it, and then epoxy that.

And yes, I have a brass bushing on order for the TV grommet.
            This one: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00t96117m.htm

Comment

thats not a terribly big deal. If it comes out of position, it will shift late and have high pressure. It won't hurt the trans, it will just shift stupidly.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Get up and go

I'm surprised noone has mentioned gears. For not alot of dough, I thought that was the way to go? People may damn near give them away like stock intakes. Just a thought.
                sigpic

Comment

towncars arnt fast....hmmm i think im remedy this issue, they can be givin the right parts, but a basic Ho upgrade isnt out of the questions and will give you what your lookign for, ah yes gears yup those help too.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I think no one mentioned gears yet because I was asking more for under hood things to do whileI had the upper intake off. However I would like to get one step lower gears with Trac-Lock at some point in the future.
                    I don't mind not having a fast Town Car, when I want speed I have a couple bikes that go very nicely.

Also I was thinking about some lowering springs to drop it an inch our so. But I don't want to have that degrade ride quality. From other peoples experience, how much did the lower springs effect the ride? I don't mind it becoming a bit more taught, that has to happen in order to lower it without bottoming out all the time. But I do not want stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
                      I figured I would try to Dremel a slot into it and see if I can't fashion a clip or pin for it, and then epoxy that.

And yes, I have a brass bushing on order for the TV grommet.
                      This one: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00t96117m.htm
                      and a very good price too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        and a very good price too.
                        That's good to know. I bought five because the cheapest shipping option was still over eight dollars. Figured it can't hurt to have a few extras.

But does no one here have lowering springs? Like the ones form the circle track parts website?

Comment

Many have them including me. Expect a stiff ride, but nothing unbearable. The improvement in handling is well worth it.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

to be honest, it doesn't stiffen the ride as much as I would have expected. That comes from someone who drives a Lincoln with stock springs and the plushy fat-ass couch seats.

Comment

It seems to me that tires, bigger rims and shocks change the feel of the ride significantly.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Performance? Supercharger. Do it. You know you want to.
                                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X