No announcement yet.

Timing Chain Cover Gasket Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know where the access plate is? I just went to look at the top of the tranny and couldn't find one.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

It's on the bottom.
      I found a link with a pic of that plate and the starter removed.
      http://www.mustangandfords.com/proje.../photo-18.html
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

oh THAT plate. I was picturing something a little different, but that works (i would think)
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yep, that's the only access plate that I know of, the bellhousing doesn't have any access holes.
          Accessing the fly wheel from that plate or the starter is how I turn it to line it up with the studs on the torque converter when installing a trans.
          I'm not sure if you can really get enough leverage to keep it from moving while trying to remove the crankshaft bolt. It might be easier to put a socket on the nut securing the torque converter, but the you might have to worry about that aluminum plate giving way if the force is greater than it can handle.

Edit: Actually now that I think of it, and after reading the comment on that link I posted, a socket and ratchet is how I turned the flywheel (flexplate?) to get all 4 nuts on the torque converter, the access plate is long enough that you can have 2 studs accessible at a time.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have an impact wrench I use to get those bolts off/on... and a few extensions and swivels if needed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don't have an impact wrench... and it's starting to look like I'm going to need one to finish this job because I don't know shit about access plates and flywheels. I read something about a locking chain wrench somewhere, maybe that'll work. I'm trying to figure it out but I just don't get it.
              This is taking a lot longer than I was hoping for.

Comment

A good ratchet and a long pipe should get the bolt out. I have a 2ft and 3ft extension that I throw a socket on the end of and put that on the ratchet handle to get leverage. So far no HF sockets have been damaged doing so. I wanna say shove a rag on the crank pulley between the belt and pulley and tighten. It may keep the motor from turning or it might not help. If not you'll have to get a prybar on the flywheel.
                Last edited by purplebomb302; 04-13-2014, 11:10 PM.

'93 T-bird
                '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                '88 Mark VII
                '86 CV

Comment

make sure you remove the washer thats in there under the bolt, otherwise you will break the balancer puller and not get the balancer off.

the double roller set will probably come up if you ask for one for a mustang. If the gears have 2 rows of teeth, its double roller. If its one wide tooth, its not.

replace the front cover seal if you're pulling the cover.

use a small daub of sealer at the outer end of the key slot in the balancer. oil will wick out of that spot and sling around if you dont'. wont be much, but enough to make a mess and annoy you

if you are not replacing the PS high pressure hose, do not remove it. It will leak otherwise. Just lay the pump off to the side. If you are replacing it, I'm 90% sure its a standard size fitting. You need a flare nut wrench, or the fitting will round off and you'll be boned. Hold the large nut on the pump when you do this too, otherwise it will try and spin out with the tube nut. If you are replacing hoses, do not pull the return line off. Slice it with a razor knife and then remove it. Pulling on it will probably break the tit on the pump reservoir.

I'd still be considering a new pump. At a minimum, replace the gasket between the pump and it's backing plate. I had one of those blow out once. That may well be your problem, and its wouldn't show up until you put it all back together again. I'd really suggest re-diagnosing it yourself so you know exactly whats going on. Replacing parts is easy. Anyone that can turn a wrench can do that. Diagnosing things so you know what part to replace is the difficult bit.

use an impact gun on the balancer bolt. Wedging shit with pipes and using the starter to break it loose is a good way to get hurt. Borrow one if you have to. Even a decent battery powered one ought to have the balls to do the job.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I appreciate that post gadget. The whole part about the power steering hose, the flare nut wrench or the fitting will round off part, the don't remove it unless you're replacing it part, I really wish I would've heard that this morning lol. Looks like I'm adding a new power steering hose to the list... lesson learned. I need to find a flare nut wrench to purchase for this sole purpose, meh.

These timing sets should work for my 1990 Grand Marquis 5.0l 302 right? All I really need is something of acceptable quality, that fits, and that is carried by a store nearby.

I'll buy a water pump, Power steering hose, a timing set, and a battery powered impact wrench (harbor freight most likely) that'll hopefully be strong enough to take care of this crank shaft bolt... damn thing. After working all day, getting all that stuff and running necessary errands I don't think I'll have much daylight left tomorrow. Maybe add a battery powered worklight to the list lol, It's gonna be a long week .

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Cover the gap in the oil pan so stuff doesn't fall in there, and careful with the timing chain cover, cracking it would suck.

I don't remember how I tightened the crank bolt but think I used a chain wrench on the harmonic balancer.

Pete
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I bought a 1/2" drive impact gun from Horrible Freight that plugs into the wall and that definitely had enough balls to get it off and back on no problem.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

that's the impact gun I have. works like a champ for over a decade now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

either of those sets will work. Anything that fits any Windsor engine will do the job. The Comp Camps one is a double roller, but you should be able to come up with a Cloyes or something for reasonable coin. Pretty sure thats whats in my car. Basically that timing set fits about a half century worth of engines, so it shouldn't be difficult to come up with one.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't have an extension cord long enough to reach across the parking lot, up the stairs, and into my apartment so I hope the battery powered one has enough ass behind it... with my luck it won't because nothing is ever simple *hysterical laughing* I'll get a chain wrench also.

I still don't know if I should be getting the .200" or the .250" timing chain set, will only one work or is it just a matter of preference?

I'm about to just get the .200" and take it back if I need to.

At this point I'll be lucky if I save much at all, but at least I'll still have tools and a new timing chain (god willing).
                              Last edited by BuffaloRider; 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

We're all pullin' for ya'.....you'll get it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X