Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical wiring problem causing starter to malfunction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical wiring problem causing starter to malfunction...

Greetings,
    I'm tracking down a red wire which is keeping the starter from turning over. I found the wire loose near the starter solenoid, and I would like to know where it should go. I took some pictures below to show the loose red wire highlighted in purple. Pardon my picture uploading skills and the junky engine bay.Thank-you in advance for the help!Click image for larger version

Name:	20140828_192635.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1302619
    @Ryan.Madison68

what year is the car again? It may go to the bottom small stud on the starter solenoid... or to the battery. It may also be an accessory wire a previous owner installed for something.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

@Ryan.Madison68

Comment

The best thing for you to do, is to find out where that wire goes, as it may not be factory at all.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140829_093853_327.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1276262
          If my tracing is correct, then the red wire goes here.
          @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

That is a vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator, so I'm going to go with "not where it goes"

That wire really doesn't look factory to me. I don't recall any solid red wires existing over there, and definitely not any without a fuse link. Possible something failed and was bypassed with a new piece of wire though. best guess is it goes to the starter relay with all the cables on it, but thats really a guess. it may have also been taped to the skinned spot I see on the one fuse link in your picture. Don't put it back there. If it needs to go to +, add a fuse holder and an eye terminal and hook it back up.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, that's something somebody added on. It looks like everything needed to crank is still hooked up to the solenoid. What makes you think that red wire is preventing your car from starting?
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks everybody for the advice. I retraced the red wire and it's not the vacuum hose for the fuel pressure regulator. The red wire goes inside the cabin under and behind the throttle body. I'll see if I can grab a snapshot of it.
                @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

yeah... I'm betting it's a bypass wire cause something stopped working or the power wire for some accessory (like a CB) and the PO took it out and took out the fuse holder but left the wire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_133201.jpeg
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	1276269
                    @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

definitely not a stock wire.

Comment

Find the other end. That will tell you whether it matters or not. I just hope someone didn't bypass the neutral safety switch and all that stuff because they couldn't be bothered to diagnose it.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X