Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idle dips & surges in park after tune-up. Any idea why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle dips & surges in park after tune-up. Any idea why?

Hi everybody, welcome to Monday!

About two weeks ago I had my car in the shop for a bunch of little things. The only engine work done was the tune up: new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Plugs are autolight platinums & the rest of the stuff is motorcraft. Ever since I got it back though I noticed several things are a little different.. First off is the main issue: Car starts up fine and initially idles smooth but then it starts to "hunt" for some reason. Doesn't stall but you can hear the engine rev up & down far enough so that the lights dim. Is the IAC bad? Car was fine before the tune-up. Once I put it in gear everything is fine though. What do you guys think?

Other things noticed:
    Once started the car's idle calms down much faster than it used to, and sounds like it is trying to idle a bit lower than before. Shortly after it gets there it goes into the fits. Doesn't happen when the engine is hot.

Valvetrain noise is mostly gone, like 70% gone. Dead plugs = valvetrain like noise?

Cheers,

Derek
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Firstly, Autolite plugs SUCK. Would have asked for Motorcrafts. Secondly, it could be a bad IAC or possibly just a good TB and IAC/port clean out is required. I am certain others here will jump in with opinions....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeah, I'd guess that with all the new tune-up stuff (especially if the old stuff was pretty bad) it could be just that the idle setting for the IAC is a little different and is having trouble finding it. Parts like that get a 'happy place' from working within the same range for so long, if the new range of movement includes a dirty/sticky/gummy zone in the actuator it may be overshooting its target, then pulling back over and over until it gets there. You could try cleaning it out with some throttle body spray and see if that helps.
      It's also possible they disturbed a vacuum line that was already bad and opened it up a little. Try wiggling various vacuum lines (not the plastic ones though, they might break) and listen for hissing sounds or changes in idle while doing it.

Also if the old plugs and stuff were really really bad, I wouldn't doubt you had some noise that went away with the new parts.

I did a tune-up on a friends truck that had plugs more worn than I had ever seen... he called me the next day on the highway and was like "my engine seems to be running slower" ... He meant that his cruising RPM on the highway was less than it usually is, I assured him it was a good thing and his engine was just having to work less to keep him going, lol
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Firstly, Autolite plugs SUCK. Would have asked for Motorcrafts. Secondly, it could be a bad IAC or possibly just a good TB and IAC/port clean out is required. I am certain others here will jump in with opinions....Bobby
        And here I thought Autolite=Motorcraft... Ash has 'em on her TC and things are going ok so far but I sure wish I knew this ahead of time, I would've bought & handed over plugs meself.

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        Yeah, I'd guess that with all the new tune-up stuff (especially if the old stuff was pretty bad) it could be just that the idle setting for the IAC is a little different and is having trouble finding it. Parts like that get a 'happy place' from working within the same range for so long, if the new range of movement includes a dirty/sticky/gummy zone in the actuator it may be overshooting its target, then pulling back over and over until it gets there. You could try cleaning it out with some throttle body spray and see if that helps.
        It's also possible they disturbed a vacuum line that was already bad and opened it up a little. Try wiggling various vacuum lines (not the plastic ones though, they might break) and listen for hissing sounds or changes in idle while doing it.

Also if the old plugs and stuff were really really bad, I wouldn't doubt you had some noise that went away with the new parts.

I did a tune-up on a friends truck that had plugs more worn than I had ever seen... he called me the next day on the highway and was like "my engine seems to be running slower" ... He meant that his cruising RPM on the highway was less than it usually is, I assured him it was a good thing and his engine was just having to work less to keep him going, lol
        The old plugs & wires had to be the originals. They said Motorcraft on 'em and the coil wire clipped onto the coil, can't get 'em like that anymore right? Plus when I had issues the coil was swapped to Ashley's TC and I noticed all kinds of white powder on the coil's post & the wire's socket. Surprised it ran actually.

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into the dirty IAC valve & try to hunt down any "visible" vacuum leaks, the rubbery stuff underhood does look to be pretty brittle. Some of it goes where the eye cannot see too.

Comment

Autolite has not been owned by Ford (Ford only bought "part" of the company) since approximately 1973. They were then sold out to Bendix and I think a New Zealand company owns them now. Not even certain where they are made now (China/Mexico??) but MANY folks have had problems with them. I would check out the IAC, it's ports and the TB. If all else fails, swap out the plugs for Motorcraft. Just my humble opinion...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I've had 3 motorcraft plugs of the 8 that Scott put in my 93 blow the insulator loose and allow blow-by through the plug. so I think the motocraft aren't any better than the rest any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              I've had 3 motorcraft plugs of the 8 that Scott put in my 93 blow the insulator loose and allow blow-by through the plug. so I think the motocraft aren't any better than the rest any more.
              WOW! Have had them in all three of my cars and never had an issue. Guess it could happen anytime or you got a bad batch.

Comment

one was just a month after install... another after about a year... the last one a year after that. I'm about ready to take them all out and just put the plats that the system calls for in there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The Autolite and Motorcraft plugs were identical once upon a time. At some point, the Autolite were coming from China and Motorcraft were coming from Mexico. Sad to say when Mexican plugs are the preferred item. They probably still aren't exactly ideal, or any different now.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

IIRC Scotty has had some "lovely" things to say about Autolite plugs!

Comment

So what plugs do you guys prefer/have had good luck with? OEMS made it 27 years & 89k miles, owners manual replacement guidelines be damned!

Comment

I use OEM's only but I am sure we will hear some good things about various aftermarket ones.

Comment

I run motocraft double platinums

Comment

I run boring old Motorshaft copper plugs. I've been real tempted to try Bosch Super plugs, but I don;t know if they make one for a 302. The Super is their copper plug, no platinum silliness. I've not had a platinum plug run worth a crap in an engine that didn't come with them from the factory. I haven't had any trouble with the Motorcraft plugs, but I like to have options in the event that I do.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think we put platinums in my brother's old 93 CV, mod motor did not like them and we went to champion coppers. Maybe that was the other way around? Been almost ten years since that was done.. I've got champion coppers in the 'bird and it's happy with them. Not sure if the MSD 6AL box, distributor & coil help with that. Why are platinum plugs silly? With all the stuff I'm [partially] knowledgeable about plugs are not one of them. My thoughts on them haven't changed much since high school "Run what you like, make sure they're gapped correctly." I'll never run the quad tips or whatever they're called again though, lol. Also, what type of plugs did ole mother Ford put in from the factory, copper?
                              Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 01-28-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X