Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The internet is a vast sea of knowledge.

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Everything can be simplified emmensly... You can quite easily get 500hp from a naturally aspirated street 351 stroked to 408, than you can throw on a supercharcher kit that bolts on for 1000hp (351 blocks are good to around 700hp, you have to go DART or aftermarket to get blocks good to 1500hp strength). Nitrous is wonderfull stuff if metered and controlled dilligently and at the flick of a switch and $1000 or so for a good setup you can put even a mild 400hp built 351 up to its 700 block limit in 2 150hp systems to have a chance at putting power to the ground lol. Either way a 351 will take you well beyond the limits the the tranny/driveshaft/entire rear end and its entire suspension system/entire fuel system from pump pickup sock to injectors... and the list goes on.

The 500hp limit (now also verified by me I might add) on the 302 blocks will take you to the edge of what the rest of the car can handle with the basic 31spline axles/decent tranny swap/fuel pump line upgrades kinda thing that the average sane person would take on. After a 3yr (3000+hrs) ground up, 15k and counting build of my merc just to support the future 800-1000hp 351w based powerplant, I can seriously say making horsepower is the easiest and cheepest part of a car build by far when you want to go beyond the 500hp mark in a real car (that drives more than 12sec at a time)... FYI it'll be firing up this year

Also, lentech makes a super badass AOD rated to 1100hp, lifetime guarentee and ya get to keep the auto or manual shifting with 3 well ratio's gears plus an overdrive cruising gear. I have 5,000 miles on mine and its worth the $$ i paid even being a 19yr old at the time... Made in canada so you know it's the best
      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

"no replacement for displacement" was a saying used 20+yrs ago... now there is a replacement for displacement, it's called power adders and technology.
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Dear Panthers,
          Like the OP I am gearhead-challenged. Like the OP I had a vague and developing mental picture of what I wanted. Like him I had first rate advice from this forum and generous folks who shared their years of knowledge with me. Free. I try to not take up too much of their time. I am grateful to those (esp Scott, John, Thaine, Sly and Pete) who helped me build the Shooting Brake and steered me away from dreamy/dreams that would have turned into nightmares.

Donald McCaig

Comment

There's been 4 different displacement numbers tossed around so far. Your mechanic is an asshat because he wants to charge you 11k for what amounts to a top-end rebuild. I wouldn't continue doing business with anyone like that.

I have plenty of patience for people less knowledgeable than myself, and the state pays me pretty well for it too. What gets tiring is throwing handfuls of Ford small block engine theory onto your wall and seeing it slough off. They make books for this stuff. You can't really explain the entirety of building a performance panther in one thread, or several for that matter. Dig into the books, visit a local library or Barnes & Noble and read all the automotive magzines, check out the dozens of mustang forums as the majority of it still applies to these cars. Most of us started that way and it still took us years before we considered getting into engine internals.

Don't quit on account of me I'll just be over here in the corner watching this train-wreck of a thread run its course

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
              Well.

I said I was going to go for a 418 stroker. I haven't changed that target.

I joined this forum because I own an 80s panther. Sorry for not being a mechanic. I don't know all the goddamned mother fucking "gearhead lingo". Sorry for not being on the same wavelength as you.

I think I'm done with this board. I don't need attitude from people who have little patience for those less knowledgeable than themselves.

I was actually going to give Scott or whoever runs this site $50 as a donation, but I realize now that I'm viewed as a nuisance member.

And my "asshat mechanic" does occasional work on my car for me; at least he doesn't generally deride me for not being born with the knowledge of differentiating between a connecting rod and a pushrod.

Please, lock this thread, and then delete my account from the database.

Not trying to be rude but it dosent seem you want to learn or are just to frustrated. Sometimes things seem rude over the internet that actually are not because you cant hear the intonation of their voice. Price you mechanic quoted seemed high to me and most likely most on this site. Most sites you will encounter more bashing than here.
              Something like this might be a better bet for someone that wants performance but dosent want to spend time learning
              Last edited by turbo2256b; 05-01-2015, 11:39 AM.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Easy boys, play nice!! At one point you too were a virgin
                Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                Oh lawdy, you've got a long road ahead of you to be hot rodding anything

http://www.summitracing.com/

Comment

Mike don't be a "dicK" and get all feminine!!.....the guys here are great and you will learn a shit pot full of info, so do not go ballistic, OK?
                  Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                  Well.

I said I was going to go for a 418 stroker. I haven't changed that target.

I joined this forum because I own an 80s panther. Sorry for not being a mechanic. I don't know all the goddamned mother fucking "gearhead lingo". Sorry for not being on the same wavelength as you.

I think I'm done with this board. I don't need attitude from people who have little patience for those less knowledgeable than themselves.

I was actually going to give Scott or whoever runs this site $50 as a donation, but I realize now that I'm viewed as a nuisance member.

And my "asshat mechanic" does occasional work on my car for me; at least he doesn't generally deride me for not being born with the knowledge of differentiating between a connecting rod and a pushrod.

Please, lock this thread, and then delete my account from the database.

Comment

Well said!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Look for a die hard Studebaker/Packard guy who also has a dark side owning a '86 MGM Tudor.......I have one thing to say: I have yet to find an A-hole on this board!!...........we are all gear heads to different degrees..........all are here to help those that are less well informed.......no need to flame or toss the N word around............enough of that shit happens on a daily basis in DC!
                      We now return to our usual programming

Comment

Guy walks into a forum, asks for advice. Gets advice, asks for more advice. Gets more and more advice, asks for same advice again. Is given multiple resources, options, links of where to go to read up more and learn about it so he can put together his own combination, & hell, he's even given a full shopping list with price totals for example. Guy asks for pretty much same advice again.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

It would appears there are "other factors" in play here that would account for the reactions. From what I have read, the posters has responded with GREAT info and bent over backwards to be helpful and break it all down to make it understandable. If I were moderating this board, I would close the thread and call it a day!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X