Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kinda motor is it, and how much shipping will it cost me to have you send it here?

Comment

So I took my engine parts list from here:

Can anyone tell me what they mean by "grinding" the bottom of the cylinders, and all that?

Comment

Clearance for the rotating assembly. the rods on that stroker crank will need some metal removed from the block to clear when spinning at temp and RPM range. It's a typical step in stroked engines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The rod bolts will interfere with the bottom of the bore and the pad that the oil pump sits on. An h-beam rod will need more clearance than an i-beam rod.

Comment

Is that a brutal step?

Comment

"The basis for this 418 is a production 351 Windsor block that's been bored to 4.030 inches and paired with a 4340 forged-steel crank."

I presume boring the block is not the same difference?

Comment

It requires time consuming dremel type work to hog out the locations needed for crank clearance.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Fun.

Comment

If I read my engine passages from War and Peace would that sufficiently bore it, I wonder?...

Comment

Comment

Mike, if your half as good with mechanics as with puns....look out!

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

So really, do I get a machine shop to bore the engine block?

Comment

For a bore and hone on the cylinders, absolutely. Clearance in the block for a stroker crank is DIY, but the machine shop would probably do it for your since they have it.

Comment

DuceAnAHalf (Ryan) has a 351w (probably 358ci) in his vic. If you make it over to Scottfest, I can bring it with me from Tampa and meet you there for pickup

If you build a 408w, there's no clearancing needed. IMO, its not worth your trouble for the extra few ci to do a 418w, and a stroker is really a stretch for your plans anyways.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

A lot depends on the rods. An H-beam has bolts set wider than an I-beam. Also there are block casting variations, some will need clearance, some don't.

Remember, measure twice, cut once.

Comment

Working...
                                X