hood handle is way too tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hood handle is way too tight

GO's been this way since i got her. to open the freaking hood, i have to yank on the latch really hard. how the hell do i fix that?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

How about closing the hood, do you have to slam it really hard for the latch to engage? If that is the case your latch is a little too low, loosen them two bolts that hold it to the radiator support frame and pull it it up slightly. That's what the situation is with my hood, but I keep forgetting to take care of it.

Comment

Do you mean that the hood release pull handel is really hard to pull?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
        Do you mean that the hood release pull handel is really hard to pull?
        yeah that lol
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Mine is too. I guess only one of two things is likely the cause, either the cable is binding in the tube, or (more likely) the hood latch release mechanism (the part at the hood latch) is just sticky. Baybe a good few shots of WD40 and then couple drops of oil.

Comment

on a similar, but differnet issue. When I first got Pauline, her hood refused to latch without major slamming. I moved the latch up, down left right to no avail. I quick shot of WD fixed it right up.

2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

lube is good mmmmkay?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My handle does the same thing. i have to really pull on it to get it to release. The hood latches easy. Just set it down till it pases the safety catch then press down and it latches.

On a side note the hood latch on my 97 has released while driving 3 times. just be going along and *POP* luckily the safety catch has got it everytime. if it did it more often than every 9 months or so id be worried. maybe the cable is not relaxing fully.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

mine was real tight to pull n pop the hood... lube solved it.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have the same problem, but I'm glad it's difficult to open. I usually have to crawl under and push the hood up. I would hate for it to pop open while I'm doing 70-80 mph.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X