no start condition on the cougar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tfi module is a good idea ill try that

used a carbide bit on the cap. ill get a few caps and rotors from the wreckers that look newish. theyre 35$ a peice in stores here.

Comment

An MSD cap and rotor are less than $25 brand new here at the local advance store.

Comment

Canadian cash. Stuff is more spendy there.

If the spark is weak, TFI module or the pickup in the distributor. These don't have a crank sensor. Fried coil wire could also cause weak spark, or a bad rotor causing the spark to leak through it to ground. I once burned out a rotor on my Beetle, ran like complete crap. The rotor was actually burned through in the middle causing spark to ark across it to get to the rotor tip, then out to the contacts in the cap.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

wat would cause that after using the code reader on the car it will start? what does the code reader do other than read the codes?

Comment

beats me, tho i think it does prime the fuel pump up. maybe try turning the key to 'on', let it sit a second, turn it back off, back to on for a few seconds, then try starting? that should make sure the fuel system is properly primed if thats the issue.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ive done that... it snowed again today. ill try the tfi coil tomorrow. if i get it running though im going to take it for a good rip around the impound that its in. i havent ever gone this long without driving a car that ive bought. its teearinnng me up

Comment

If you do the TFI module, get the tool for it. It'll save you a headache and a messed up socket. It's dirt cheap, too.

Comment

thes a special tool for the tfi? didnt know that... dammit

Comment

been suggested that it runsafter the code test because it resets the computer the computer could be bad? im going to do the tfi first, and if it starts ill take it for a good drive to see if it throws some codes

Comment

Eh, Ford computers are pretty reliable. Usually if they're fucked they're fucked and it won't do jack squat. You'd probably also not get a code 11 (all OK) code.

Comment

would you guys believe me if i told you i bought a tfi from the wrecker, bought the tool, and discovered that the cougar doesnt have one -that i can see

Comment

You might want to check out this website, they have some good info on the TFI module.

Might look like this:
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

ya its not on the distripulartorere!!!!!1

Comment

Its external. Scott says on the shock tower maybe. I don't think those require the special tool to change, you probably just change the whole TFI and heatsink and whatnot.

Comment

k ill giver a try
                                its getting looked at for saftey inspection now

Comment

Working...
                                X