What's in the Tow Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in the Tow Package

I was recently digging around in my truck cleaning the quarter panels out to prevent rust. Took off the drivers side cardboard panel and found some relays and an unused 7-pin wiring harness. I've heard this is part of the towing package. I've also got a thick radiator and tranny cooler. My car also has a factory 1 1/8in front sway bar just like P72's.

What else was included in the towing package?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

3.55 traction lock and the bigger rear drum brakes.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

That's what got me to thinking. I have 3.08's without traction lock factory (code Y on the door tag). Every other car with the tow pack I'd seen had at least 3.27's or 3.55's with a traction lock. I really wish that's what I had, but they are strangly absent on my car.

I'm gonna check the rear brakes this weekend.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I think my 87 was the same way. 3.08 open with the towing package. The other ratios are optional. If I go dig through my stuff later, I have the 87 dealer brochure... I can double check.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

That would be great if you could do that when you get a spare moment. Thanks!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

The preferred basic TOW package...

Comment

i think the new 87 vic i recently purchased has the package you have tiggie. it has the thicker radiator and stuff. yet like yours has the open 3.08 y axle code.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

My 86 tow package car doesn't have the original radiator, so I can't say if it was larger. It does have a trans cooler and power steering cooler up front, and the bank of relays in the back. The universal joints are bigger, the pinion flange on the rear is bigger, and the bigger rear brakes. Mine is also a 3.55 K code trac-lock though.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

could be dealer added options to mimmick a tow package, without the full package.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My car also had an electric brake controller at one time. I wish I still had that. Would have been cool to have a Townie with a factory (or more likely dealer) installed e-brake.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer

Nice! :guns:
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

My first box was bought new in 87 with the tow package. From what I recall, it was a 3.27 rear end, but I don't have the VIN anymore, so I can't confirm. It did have an aux. trans cooler as mentioned above.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                        302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                        '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                        '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Got my History 999 report today. My car is equipped with the "Trailer Tow Class II."

Going from my car, I will state the following:

Included:

- Transmission Cooler
                          - HD Radiator
                          - 1 1/8 inch Front Sway Bar
                          - Wiring and Relays in Drivers Side Rear Quarter Panel
                          - 100 Amp Alternator

NOT Included (Probably included in Class I):
                          - 11 inch Rear Brake Drums
                          - Power Steering Cooler
                          - Dual Exhaust
                          - Rear Sway Bar
                          - Traction-Lok Axle
                          - Any axle non-standard axle ratio (the report lists my car being equipped with the "Standard Axle Ratio," 3.08's in my case.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer

is all i can say is hoooaaaa!!!
                            sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

Hm, thats interesting. I think mine had the Class I package. This is what I have

Trans cooler
                              PS cooler
                              7/8" bar originally
                              wiring and stuff in the rear fender
                              had an electric brake controller with a factory wiring connector. PO cut it out.
                              65 amp alternator
                              dual exhaust
                              11" rear drums
                              3.55 K code traction lock rear
                              heavy duty driveshaft with larger universal joints
                              auto-level air shocks.

Not present
                              rear sway bar
                              larger front bar

Its interesting that you got a bigger front bar and alternator. I'd figure my car with the electric brake controller would have had a bigger alt. I don't know what the original radiator was, but whats in the car now is kinda feeble, it has been replaced though.

Comment

Working...
                              X