oil magically dissappearing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeri
    This would be economical if you did the change yourself.
    With the way the oil filter is placed on our cars changing the oil on your own is a must - it's just too damn easy to slip a filter wrench on it, and many quick-lube places just can't resist the temptation to do so when tightening the filter

Comment

My past three 5.0s haven't use any noticable amount of oil. I never have to add any.

Comment

Ford spec says that if its using less than 1 quart per 1000 miles is within acceptable limits. I wouldn't worry about adding oil tho, as long as you're using the same oil. I think the supposed bad thing is when you mix brands and grades of oil because of possible issues with the different additives. 3000 mile oil changes are fine, and coincide with factory reccomended service intervals.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
          Ford spec says that if its using less than 1 quart per 1000 miles is within acceptable limits.
          is that foreal? my manifold gasket and valve covers (again) are leaking pretty good in the back... I dont think it looses that much lol
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

when i do an oil change, it reads a half quart low. i drive it and it levels out in the pan because of the double sump pan. only reason you see it so far up the dipstick after checking it after the motor is running, is because it splashes up the tube. oil doesnt expand like tranny or power steering fluid since those are hydraulic type fluids.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
              is that foreal? my manifold gasket and valve covers (again) are leaking pretty good in the back... I dont think it looses that much lol
              I forget where I heard that spec, but I remember it being something that I thought was awfully high. My owner's manaul says "it is normal to have to add some engine oil between changes" so even Ford acknowleges from the start that these motors aren't the tightest things for oil control. I never have to add oil to my car anymore since I replaced the valve cover gaskets with those perma dry ones. Before I did that, it was losing about a quart per oil change.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes 1Qt per 1K is withing spec.

Get the good valve cover gaskets and decent valve covers. They won't leak. Some thik aluminum VC's or the later box ones and the rubber coated metal gaskets will stop any leaks. As for the intake...usually if you use the silicone rear gakets and a dab of silicon on the edges they are fine...
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                X