No announcement yet.

NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on where you get em from. Summit or Jegs has replacement parts, you can find the parts from 87-93 Mustangs or 87-up Mark VIIs in a junkyard, or if you know anybody with one of those cars then you could get those parts for free cuz HO parts to them are like lopo parts to us.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Oh really? That's pretty interesting.

Comment

Okay, I will butt in one more time.

First of all, it is really difficult to ascertain whether or not you are jerking our chain, or actually asking for our advice. Your questioning/reply style resembles that of someone who is simply typing inane responses, much like someone who really isn't listening when you are giving them technical advice...'uh, yeah, sure, really interesting, whatever...". I am seriously not trying to be rude, it's just that the your choice of words and phrases really looks like someone who either isn't interested in what we have to say, or everything is going way over your head. If this is the case, just simply say so. I want to give you a detailed reply on what to do, but I don't exactly have a lot of lifespan to waste on a reply if you can't (or won't) understand what it is I am trying to tell you.
        Got it?

Now that that is out of the way, you are kind of following the standard "I want 450HP out of a 302" request that I have seen hundreds of times out of rookies on Mustang forums, so for the hundredth-plus time, I am going to tell you that your goal is seriously unrealistic, without other chassis modifications (transmission, exhaust, etc), and will also create a motor that will only run well way up in the RPM range, completely unsuited for the heavy Crown Victoria.

I will give you, however, a good basic formula for getting a nice, peppy 302 that will make your car fun to drive, provided the supporting cast is caught up with the engine.

Look for the following:
        1. Engine and AOD transmission out of a 1986-1992 Lincoln LSC, 5.0 liter High Output. These cars are all automatics, and aren't usually beat on too badly, as stock you really can't rev them up like you can a 5.0 in a stick-shift mustang. If you find a good one (wrecked preferably, otherwise, just drive the Lincoln), here is what you do to it before you install it in the Vic, This is what I call the "ButtSlapper Special":

A. Remove the upper and lower intake manifold, and cylinder heads

B. Have someone port the hell out of the lower intake manifold, or at least gasket match the lower intake manifold ports to match the intake gaskets.

C. Find a set of used 1964-1966 289 V8 cylinder heads. Have these rebuilt, with hardened seats for the exhaust valves, and teflon valve seals. You don't need screw-in studs, as you are going to be reusing the stock H.O. camshaft. THEY HAVE TO BE 289 HEADS!!!!

D. Once procured, install these heads on your 302 block, with Fel-Pro Printoseal head gaskets, and new headbolts. Install the lower intake manifold. For now, you are finished with the engine, as you will be installing the Lincoln intake backwards, with the Crown Vic vacuum lines and related (plus throttle body linkage plate mods, to be done later) after the engine is in the car.

E. Buy either a used or new B&M Holeshot 2400 rpm stall convertor, non-lockup. This goes in the front of the transmission, along with drilling the flexplate convertor stud holes to 15/64ths, and installing a new front pump seal

F. Have a professional install either a transgo SK kit, or superior shift kit with everything done to the highest settings (the holes drilled, the biggest springs, etc, everything set on Taxi or Police car, or race)

G. install a set of 3.73 rear gears in the rear end, and put a traction-lock limited slip differential in the rearend, make sure it is fresh.

H. Mustang tube headers, H-pipe, and 2 1/4 dual exhaust system.

I. K&N filter.

There, that gets you about 260-270 hp out of a stock H.O. motor, plus makes the car almost frightening to drive, in a good way. You will have to run premium gas all of the time, but the car will have very snappy response, and you won't be spending a fortune to build the car. This also goes for anyone else here who wants to do something fairly cheap. I have done this four times to my own CV's, I hated getting rid of them (but I drove the wheels off of all 8 wagons), and all lasted at least 80,000 miles after the mods (I never kept them long enough to go further than that). As long as you keep the timing conservative, (stock, 8-10 degrees BTDC) these mods all together really wake up a CV, not to mention doesn't do anything to kill the already weak low-end torque.

Comment

Wow, good combo BSP!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

The only thing I will toss in here, the LSC transmission is only a direct swap into a Lincoln. They have a longer tailshaft, and to install one in a Vic or Grand Marq needs a shortened driveshaft. Mustang trannys are a direct swap, or you can simply have the existing trans rebuilt using the HO governer. The shift linkages on the side of the LSC trans are also different due to the floor shifter used on those cars.

BSC makes good points. Attempting to make extremely high amounts of power from a little motor makes it really impractical to drive on any regular basis. A warmed over HO does very nicely. Its not going to pass a Corvette or anything, but it makes the car a whole lot more fun to drive. Another great thing about mild motors is they last a very long time. Its basically just as durable as a stock engine. Extremely high horsepower engines just don't last in the same way. All the parts are under a great deal more stress, and failures and wear happen at an accelerated rate.

There are other head options as well, and they also work well, but the stock un-modified E7 heads are not any sort of holy grail of performance. They suck less than the e6 heads the car has, yes, but they're not spectacular by any means. They do respond well to porting work though, and they're pretty easy to get hold of a set, so they make for a good candidate for having them worked. About 6-700 bucks will get you a rebuilt ported set of e7 heads and they do a nice job on a mild motor. Head work has almost no downside, its basically free power. It won't cause fuel consumption to go through the roof, it won't make things wear out faster, and it makes the car go a lot better. win-win.
            Last edited by gadget73; 06-04-2007, 01:51 AM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by ButtSlappingPirate View Post
              Okay, I will butt in one more time.

First of all, it is really difficult to ascertain whether or not you are jerking our chain, or actually asking for our advice. Your questioning/reply style resembles that of someone who is simply typing inane responses, much like someone who really isn't listening when you are giving them technical advice...'uh, yeah, sure, really interesting, whatever...". I am seriously not trying to be rude, it's just that the your choice of words and phrases really looks like someone who either isn't interested in what we have to say, or everything is going way over your head. If this is the case, just simply say so. I want to give you a detailed reply on what to do, but I don't exactly have a lot of lifespan to waste on a reply if you can't (or won't) understand what it is I am trying to tell you.
              Got it?

Now that that is out of the way, you are kind of following the standard "I want 450HP out of a 302" request that I have seen hundreds of times out of rookies on Mustang forums, so for the hundredth-plus time, I am going to tell you that your goal is seriously unrealistic, without other chassis modifications (transmission, exhaust, etc), and will also create a motor that will only run well way up in the RPM range, completely unsuited for the heavy Crown Victoria.

I will give you, however, a good basic formula for getting a nice, peppy 302 that will make your car fun to drive, provided the supporting cast is caught up with the engine.

Look for the following:
              1. Engine and AOD transmission out of a 1986-1992 Lincoln LSC, 5.0 liter High Output. These cars are all automatics, and aren't usually beat on too badly, as stock you really can't rev them up like you can a 5.0 in a stick-shift mustang. If you find a good one (wrecked preferably, otherwise, just drive the Lincoln), here is what you do to it before you install it in the Vic, This is what I call the "ButtSlapper Special":

A. Remove the upper and lower intake manifold, and cylinder heads

B. Have someone port the hell out of the lower intake manifold, or at least gasket match the lower intake manifold ports to match the intake gaskets.

C. Find a set of used 1964-1966 289 V8 cylinder heads. Have these rebuilt, with hardened seats for the exhaust valves, and teflon valve seals. You don't need screw-in studs, as you are going to be reusing the stock H.O. camshaft. THEY HAVE TO BE 289 HEADS!!!!

D. Once procured, install these heads on your 302 block, with Fel-Pro Printoseal head gaskets, and new headbolts. Install the lower intake manifold. For now, you are finished with the engine, as you will be installing the Lincoln intake backwards, with the Crown Vic vacuum lines and related (plus throttle body linkage plate mods, to be done later) after the engine is in the car.

E. Buy either a used or new B&M Holeshot 2400 rpm stall convertor, non-lockup. This goes in the front of the transmission, along with drilling the flexplate convertor stud holes to 15/64ths, and installing a new front pump seal

F. Have a professional install either a transgo SK kit, or superior shift kit with everything done to the highest settings (the holes drilled, the biggest springs, etc, everything set on Taxi or Police car, or race)

G. install a set of 3.73 rear gears in the rear end, and put a traction-lock limited slip differential in the rearend, make sure it is fresh.

H. Mustang tube headers, H-pipe, and 2 1/4 dual exhaust system.

I. K&N filter.

There, that gets you about 260-270 hp out of a stock H.O. motor, plus makes the car almost frightening to drive, in a good way. You will have to run premium gas all of the time, but the car will have very snappy response, and you won't be spending a fortune to build the car. This also goes for anyone else here who wants to do something fairly cheap. I have done this four times to my own CV's, I hated getting rid of them (but I drove the wheels off of all 8 wagons), and all lasted at least 80,000 miles after the mods (I never kept them long enough to go further than that). As long as you keep the timing conservative, (stock, 8-10 degrees BTDC) these mods all together really wake up a CV, not to mention doesn't do anything to kill the already weak low-end torque.
              Sorry about the small reply. I am not sure if I want to do this. But I was wondering how much work involves doing it.
              289 heads on a 302? I didn't know you could do that. So are Towncar stock motors HO?
              ---------
              ---------
              What is a Superior Shift kit? What does it do? And how much is it to get installed?

Comment

Towncars used the same lopo motor as the Vic/GM.

Comment

Oh, I was starting to think that they had HO engines.

Comment

Mark VII's had the 302 HO, that may be what you were thinking of.

Comment

Yeah, that's it, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

You're welcome mang, glad to be of help.

Comment

hehe Welcome Mang umm... Not sure what ure price range is But if ure into drag racing i know money isnt to big of a concern for an engine. So i was going to point out these crates

450 horse's on a 302

And theres a 351.. I myself would go with the 351..

And also note that i would have Scott Build it. Instead of paying summit.. or anyone else.. He's one of the best demn engine mang's that ive seen work done by..

One more thing. No matter what you do to it.. or how you go at this project. I seriosley recomend a Balance and blueprint

Reguards.

D.K.
                          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight View Post

And also note that i would have Scott Build it. Instead of paying summit.. or anyone else.. He's one of the best demn engine mang's that ive seen work done by. D.K.
                            He's pretty close by, maybe, if I decide to do anything I'll get scott to do it. Thanks for providing those links.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                              Mark VII's had the 302 HO, that may be what you were thinking of.
                              Are Mark VII H.O. motors the most swapable to panthers??
                              1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                              FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

But I don't want carb, no offense to the guys here with carbs, I prefer EFI. And whoa!!!!! The cost. Holy shite!

Comment

Working...
                                X