NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
    Are Mark VII H.O. motors the most swapable to panthers??
    That list that ButtSlappingPirate made for me, would I have to do all that if the Mark VII HO motors are all ready to go?

Comment

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
      Are Mark VII H.O. motors the most swapable to panthers??
      a HO is a HO, just Mark VII are a lot easier to find in the junkyards, and usually they're less beat on than Mustangs.

And yes, 289 heads work on a 302. All Windsor smallblock heads can be interchanged with minor mods, 289, 302, 351. The 351w has larger head bolts, so you have to bore out the bolt holes on a 289/302 head to use on a 351, and use spacer bushings with a 351 head on a 302/289. 351c heads are not a direct swap onto a windsor engine block, but it can be done with the right modifications. Google for "clevor" engines, and you'll find all you want.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, i see, so the heads are interchangable. But why would you want to use 302 heads on a 351?

Comment

351 heads aren't necessarily better. Some of the trucks used the same E7 head the HO engines use. When you get to after market stuff, you might get a good deal on some good Windsor head but the holes are only drilled to 7/16", simply drop them off at the machine shop and have them re-drilled, or do it yourself if you have a drill press and the proper means to set the head up where it will drill straight.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hello, me speaketh again....

Concerning the 289 heads: They are not intended to flow a buttload of air. They are intended to be a higher-velocity small head, that increases compression by a full point. Power through better compression, not bigger ports which kill off velocity, screwing up the stock computer, and killing off precious bottom end torque, which the 302 is not famous for to begin with. It won't run with regular unleaded, but with conservative timing, will run with premium.

Concerning the Lincoln MK7 AOD: I can make it work with the stock driveshaft, but it's an ugly modification, namely cutting off an inch of the driveshaft stub/yoke with a cutoff wheel, then cleaning the flash off of the end. It isn't pretty, but it works for me.

Comment

Oh I understand. Would you have to bore out the 289 heads at all? Or would they be left as is? BTW, Nice Sig.

Comment

289/302 use the same bore and bolt size. Nothing would have to be changed, except maybe pushrods due to length
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  289/302 use the same bore and bolt size. Nothing would have to be changed, except maybe pushrods due to length
                  Exactly. The valves are the same size, ports are similar(most 289 ports aren't too bad in the airflow department), it is simply increasing the compression. However, if you do get the heads redone, if you have someone who can do port work inexpensively, I might do some minor pocket port cleanup in the bowls (area behind the valve head), and open up the pinched-off area where the pushrod slot pinches into the intake port, I usually wedge a pushrod into the side when opening up the intake ports, it gives a good reference as to how much meat I am removing. However, I wouldn't take too much out, you are simply smoothing everything out, not making the ports a lot larger. Concerning pushrod length; unless the heads have been milled, they are usually pretty close, however, I would have someone check geometry before running the engine, especially if it looks like it is way off.

Comment

Oh. I understand, but I don't think I have anybody who can do port work inexpensively though.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Oh. I understand, but I don't think I have anybody who can do port work inexpensively though.
                      Exactly. Just a fairly cheap bolt-on that won't affect the vacuum signal to the point it starts screwing with the ECM.

Comment

The 289 heads, can they be used on a Lopo 302? If it's possible, what would I have to do? Can I use the stock intake? Or would I use a 289's intake? How would that work?

Comment

Same intake, no changes required. 289 heads bolt right on. You must use the rockers for the 289 heads, and maybe you'll need to change the pushrods to get the valve geometry correct. Don't know on that point, but I do know the early heads do not use the same pedastal mount rockers. They use a stud mount rocker with a groove in the end for the valve stem. These are adjustable, like a Chevy motor. The tricky part is the valve seats. The 289 ended production in 1968, before unleaded fuel was in use. Older motors didn't have hardened valve seats, and using unleaded gas in them can burn the valve seats. I've heard some people say that since they were run on leaded fuel, it conditioned the seat area so that it will be OK, I've heard some say that it only happens if you run it hard, others will say imminent destruction. I don't know the correct answer, only that its something you should be aware of. FWIW, the trouble of finding a set of 40 year old heads is probably not worth it. Likely they'll need to be rebuilt, and by the time all is said and done, you could get something as good or better thats more modern and doesn't have the concern with the valve seats. If you can get a good deal on a set of 289 hipo heads, go for it, but personally I wouldn't go out of my way to spend a lot of money on them. You can get a modern set of E7 heads used for cheap, and have them done up for maybe 700 bucks. They'll do very well on a mild motor without costing a small fortune. GT40 iron heads are also not that expensive these days, can probably pick them up for 2-300. In stock form, a gt40 head blows an e7 out of the water and they do actually have more potential with the right port work.
                          Last edited by gadget73; 06-11-2007, 03:11 AM.

Comment

oh, okay I am not really worried about it anyway. But thanks for warning me about the valve seat issue. I was just looking at alternatives to using a HO motor.

Comment

Working...
                            X