No announcement yet.

Diesel --> Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Olds bell housing pattern? Thats going to hinder the transmission choices. A BOP TH400 would work, but you'd need a vacuum pump to operate the modulator (or use a manual vb?).

According to what I've read though, it uses the Chevrolet bell housing, as well as motor mounts. That is a big plus. I also found this link, in case you haven't come across it. There is some general info on a 6.2 swap into an FJ40: http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/diesel.htm

As far as power goes, the NA 6.9 diesel in my Dad's '83 S1600 IHC makes between 155 and 165 in stock form. I am unsure of the torque rating. That is actually very good power from a NA diesel engine of that size. The IHC DT 466 (mechanical injection) in his '87 S1900, which has a small turbo, makes 175 hp. Thats with 50-ish more cubic inch, and a turbo. If the GM NA 6.2 makes 150 hp, I would consider it to be a fairly efficient engine, power wise, in comparison.

A friend of mine just bought a '91 E350 bucket van with an NA 7.3. It has almsot 200K on it, but it makes lots of smoke, and tends to skip as well. But, in his van, with the E4OD (I think thats what it is), it moves pretty well, all things considered. I helped him change the VC gaskets on it the other day, and I realized that those engines are really quite large; I was kind of surprised for some reason.

Either way, this will be an awesome project, Jon. I understand the whole budget thing, and 900 for a good 6.2 is certainly a nice price. I think my Father paid 4500 for the reman 6.9 in his truck, 4 years ago. Big price difference there. Anyway, best of luck, and keep us updated on this.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I've got a 400HP Cat twin turbo V8 at work.....It's badass. Though its the size of the car....

Even the huge new duramax will fit in a car... little tight though. Shouldn't be tough to fit an old school chebby in there. Nice think about the diesel is you could run 2.73s and get great milage.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        And Olds bell housing pattern? Thats going to hinder the transmission choices. A BOP TH400 would work, but you'd need a vacuum pump to operate the modulator (or use a manual vb?).
        GM diesels have a vacuum pump and also a modulator-thingie so that the correct amount of vacuum is applied to the tranny. An issue may be the fact that in his car the same vacuum pump will also have to operate the brake booster - possible solution may be a Ford vacuum pump, as all older diesel trucks use vacuum boosters - if a pump can suck hard enough to actuate the dual-diaphragm hunk of a booster the F350s run, it should have no issues actuating a small car booster. And considering how the GM and Ford diesels share a common injection pump, I wouldn't be surprised if the vacuum pumps are similar as well.

The IHC DT 466 (mechanical injection) in his '87 S1900, which has a small turbo, makes 175 hp. Thats with 50-ish more cubic inch, and a turbo. If the GM NA 6.2 makes 150 hp, I would consider it to be a fairly efficient engine, power wise, in comparison.
        the 7.3 IDI (444ci) makes 175-180hp and 330lb-ft in stock form, that is N/A. I'm a bit surprised that the 446 in your big truck needs a turbo to get the same results...

By the way, Jon, tell your boss that there's a recall on the 1996-2003 PSD engines for that cam sensor, new sensor is supposedly like $15 and last a whole lot longer than the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
          the 7.3 IDI (444ci) makes 175-180hp and 330lb-ft in stock form, that is N/A. I'm a bit surprised that the 446 in your big truck needs a turbo to get the same results...
          Didn't know that stuff about the GM vacuum pump. My friend's E350 van also has a vacuum pump though...

As for the DT466; its solid engine, and feels much more powerful that the 6.9 in the other truck, depsite the fact that she's tired (250K is about all a DT can take before a tear down; or so the local diesel shop says).

In fact, the '99 IHC 4700 my father just bought also has a later DT 466, and that is rated at 190 hp, with a larger turbo on it. It is tagged right on the VC. The truck feels fast for a big truck; I'm assuming the hp rating is conservative, or the transmission just makes much better use of the power.

The 7.3 PSD in my brother's '02 Excusrion was rated at 225 hp, with the turbo; it was a dog that was plagued with turbo issues, and TC issues.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Vacuum pump would also have to operate the heater controls and such as well. I could always buy an after market electric vac pump or something, but some of those things are expensive. Still a lot of kinks and things to work out yet.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Jon is correct, heater controls also need vacuum - really the question is how much vacuum the stock GM pump will pull, and will it be enough to operate the power brakes.

Comment

mark7 84-85 hydroboost

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That's what I was thinking Scott.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Oh, I know of the hydroboost Mark VII, but will it bolt up to a Lincoln, and what the pedal geometry will end up being?

Comment

ok, grampa, my turn to chime in. hadnt really read anything but the otb lately lol. when i was working at the garage in Lake Geneva, we had a guy come in a month after i did his clutch, fool managed to snap his crankshaft.
                      anyway, i believe it was the 6.2 diesel, (early mid 90's chevy) and he had us swap out the diesel for a 350. as i remember, it bolted right in, bolted up to the same stick trans, just had to change the accessories and harness.

hope that helps for dimensions and mounting.

Comment

Harmonic dampeners were the culprit in the 6.2/6.5 crankshaft failures. I already have that figured out, there's a nice aftermarket unit available.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Jon, when you get that engine, how you gonna time it? The markings on the IP and the gear housing are just for reference and to insure initial startup, for best performance and fuel economy you'll want to time it right, 8.5 degrees BTDC works best if you use a ferret trigger, or 1.5 degrees ATDC if you use a luminosity probe. The spark-bang show stuff is made by Snap-On and is ridiculously expensive, the ferret trigger is only like $160 and will work with any timing light for a gasser, only thing is that you gotta get the ferret that is correct for your size of injection lines, and it will only work for that size of lines and nothing else.

Comment

I'll figure out something, I could probably rent the equipment or something.
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

I wouldn't keep my hopes up on the rental, Jon, the luminosity equipment is very expensive and extremely easy to screw up, so I highly doubt someone will just rent his out for cheap, tis just too much risk. You can try taking the car to a diesel shop, but that ain't free either, so based on how much they wanna charge you purchasing the ferret trigger may just be the right move.

Oh yeah, just so you know, timing is measured at 2000rpms, and adjusted with the engine off only - tis pretty much a trial and error kinda deal, unlike a gasser engine with its instantaneous response and on-the-fly adjustments.

Comment

Yeah, I know trying to adjust the pump while it's running can fuck up the gears. Like I said, I'll figure out something lol
                                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Working...
                                X