Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cvpi View Post
    No no... chevy 572 FTW

Indeed, but not for a box... at least not for me. I'd rather have an LSx swap.

Most 460s are boat anchors in my opinion; big heavy turds. I hope the GMGT project will change my opinion of them, seriously...

I'd rather have a big hp small block, and have less weight over the front end. Improved weight balance, and a better chance to pick the front wheels, which is by far the most important aspect.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

bleh @ c4 and c6 transmissions. No overdrive. E4OD for a big block and the Baumann controller would be much cooler than a 3 speed slushbox.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        bleh @ c4 and c6 transmissions. No overdrive. E4OD for a big block and the Baumann controller would be much cooler than a 3 speed slushbox.
        It's quite possible to put a built AOD behind a BBF. Then, you don't need the controller

The E4OD is cool though because of the wide ratio gearset!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Forget the AOD, go with a Gear Vendors OD:

Then you get 6 forward speeds!
          Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
          Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Marquis View Post
            Forget the AOD, go with a Gear Vendors OD:

Then you get 6 forward speeds!
            Wow very nice!
            LPP71 from CVN

Comment

yeah, they are quite nice, and very expensive
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I don't think you can get them for under 2 grand new.
                Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 12-19-2008, 10:19 PM.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

gear vendors with a aod or better a nv4500 strong enough 4 a cummings you get 10 speeds and you can shift like a man and s#!* out rear ends all day

Comment

Meh, 460s are OK but power to weight I'll stick with a 302. I know there's no replacement for displacement but these cars are heavy enough. Of course, a 4.6 is a heafty engine as well.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Big blocks are cool.

That is all.

Comment

So's the money that comes along with building em:p
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I agree.

Being at the dragstrip tonight REALLY gave me motivation to get mine going.

Comment

Originally posted by Sindelir
                            Building a 500HP 460 is much easier and cheaper then building a 500HP 302, It does not take anything to make 500hp out of a 460, plus you can still run all the stock rods and lower end of the motor with out wrecking anything.
                            Running "Lincoln" rods in a 500HP 460 is asking for trouble. "Truck" rods are cheap and plentiful, so there is no reason not to use them. The difference is in the way the rod is cut for the bolt head. Straight cut/broached is weaker than the spot faced cut. I haven't checked lately, but new bushed rods from FRPP were not much difference in cost than getting used rods reconditioned. Add in the cost of the donor rods if you have a car motor, and the advantage is even more evident.

500HP in a 460 with factory heads is a peaky motor and not so much mild manored on the street. I can tell you that having a stiff cam with a stick is bad enough. Put an auto behind it and the loose converter definitely effects drivability unless you are running an OD.

Comment

i was just thinking stock lo comp. 460 with the hair dryers and im thinking the bubble or aero booster and m/c will clear up enough room on the left side and i was thinking of using one of those vintage air a/c=heat boxes that i can hide under the dash

Comment

Working...
                              X