gt40 motor and mark VII ecu problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    You do know that the explorers have a different cam, injectors and firing order that REQUIRE you to install a HO 5.o computer from a HO mustang or Mark VII.

Yeah,I do know I need an 5.0 H.O. computer from a Mustang, but I've been told a Mark VII unit won't work. But is a computer swap all thats needed or will I still have these problems after the swap? And I've been told that in swapping the computer I'll also have to move several of the pins around ( but which pins?).

In fact I've been told a lot of things, here are just a few:

The Crown Vic is bank fired, the Crown Vic is not bank fired.

The Explorer does not have an H.O. firing order.

The Explorer does have an H.O. firing order.

You need all the wiring and computer from the Explorer.

You can only use Mustang computers and wiring, nothing else will work.

You must convert to mass air

You don't really need mass air

The cruise will no longer work.

The cruise will work, but the horn won't.

I've heard all this and a lot more! I do know the Explorer has a 65MM TB, #19 injectors and these were used.

Like I said, if this car will run without a mass air conversion and only with a
    computer swap, how?

Thanks,

Comment

you need a computer from a 88-92 lincoln mark VII
      yes they have integral cruise control.......the mustang ecm's do not

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        you need a computer from a 88-92 lincoln mark VII
        yes they have integral cruise control.......the mustang ecm's do not

GREAT!! A computer from an 88-92 Mark VII, I can do that tomorrow!!

No pin swapping? no extra wires left over?

I assume the Mark VII ecm is an H.O. speed density unit, SO this is just a

plug in and go? Nothing else to plug, unplug or rewire?

No mass air, No surprises?
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

yes it's plug and pray

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            yes it's plug and pray

Plug and PRAY??

I am certainly willing to try it and see what happens.

If I can avoid the mass air conversion it will be well worth it.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              Plug and PRAY??
              Yep, plug and pray.

Comment

lol

you need an HO pcm. you dont need maf. make sure there is a good vacuum signal- no leaks

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the info, I should have a Mark VII computer installed by Sunday, and I'll "pray" this will solve this Crown's problems.

I'm wondering if the water cooled oil cooler from the Explorer will work on the Crown? I know it will bolt up but I wonder if it will clear everything it needs to clear?

And if doing this is even worth it?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                    Thanks to everyone for the info, I should have a Mark VII computer installed by Sunday, and I'll "pray" this will solve this Crown's problems.

I'm wondering if the water cooled oil cooler from the Explorer will work on the Crown? I know it will bolt up but I wonder if it will clear everything it needs to clear?

And if doing this is even worth it?

Does anyone have any experience with this?
                    no the oil cooler wont clear the steering gear

Comment

Food for thought: It turns out my wagon had an auto stang computer in it. After swapping it to my D9S mark VII comp it's a lot happier. Still has an off idle hesitation, but that could be anything. No more backfiring out the intake, or stumbling at cruising speeds. I'd even be willing to say it has hint more power all around.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                        Food for thought: It turns out my wagon had an auto stang computer in it. After swapping it to my D9S mark VII comp it's a lot happier. Still has an off idle hesitation, but that could be anything. No more backfiring out the intake, or stumbling at cruising speeds. I'd even be willing to say it has hint more power all around.
                        check it for codes. If it comes up with a VSS code, thats your problem. 87- vehicles don't have VSS wiring, and the Mark VII ECM uses vss to do something with the egr. Without vss, it pops the egr valve open right off idle, causing a hesitation.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          check it for codes. If it comes up with a VSS code, thats your problem. 87- vehicles don't have VSS wiring, and the Mark VII ECM uses vss to do something with the egr. Without vss, it pops the egr valve open right off idle, causing a hesitation.
                          And the fix?
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

And the fix?
                            delete the egr(just plug the vacuum source)

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              arent these pcms pinned differently?
                              some recent threads on another board said mustang and t-bird were pinned differently

Comment

And the fix?
                                Add the VSS wiring. You could also delete the EGR, but I like the tiny bit of fuel economy it offers.

I wouldn't think that the Mustang auto and Mark VII ECM are substantially different. I know the manual Mustang ones have less initial timing than the auto but that should be it. I could imagine some timing and fuel curve differences but it shouldn't be anything major. The 94-95 Mustang and I think its 92+ Tbird have vastly different wiring, but those are both mass air ecms that you wouldn't be using with speed density anyway.
                                Last edited by gadget73; 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X