Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buddy Needs YOUR Help Making an '86 Tudor Marauder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirate, ah so, thanks.

But not having the rear end skitter out around potholed onramps? Unnatural - begone!

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

you want craptastic handling... drive my 82 Mark VI. it under-steers like a bitch, rolls like an F18 in an air show, and the rear will hop (skip and sometimes jump) the tires at 3/4 throttle. My 88 MGM is as much better at handling than the 82 Mark as my 93 Vic is better than the 88. And the 88 is rolling on sensatrack shocks with no rear sway bar (no car has a rear bar either).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Here is what I think. If you are looking for better handling or whatever, then a stock Ford 4 link rear suspension isn't what you are looking for.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
          Pirate- will anyone ever be able to post and follow through with his own project without you constantly berating him with novel after novel? You know plenty about cars in general, there's no doubt about that... but you made a suggestion and he shot it down. Stop beating a dead horse and let the man tackle his project.

To the guys building the car- I have a few leads on some CVPIs here in Baton Rouge; if that's close enough for you (3-4hr drive) I'll follow up and see if I get anything.
          Don't you have a car payment to make somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            Here is what I think. If you are looking for better handling or whatever, then a stock Ford 4 link rear suspension isn't what you are looking for.
            definitely. The MN12 and FN10 (or whatever they called the Mark VIII platform) IRS is just so much better its not even funny. I dont know how good it is compared to other IRS systems but MN12 Tbirds are a very nice driving automobile. Someday I would really love to hang IRS under the back of my Towncar but thats a long term down the road project. Shorter term a panhard bar is gonna be a lot easier and cheaper.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

here is my opinion

if your set on clipping the frame clip the front and install the marauder front end. then have your chassis man chop off the back half of your frame and build a new one with a proper parallel 4 link with a watts link and coilovers. Thats the only way to fix it in my opinion.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

If you are going that far might as well just put an IFS rear in it.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  IFS rear
                  FYI- I'm only quoting this to be a dick.
                  2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                  1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                  1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

There are better setups than a 4 link for a live axle... Not going into that.

I've been thinking about and researching the IRS swap for some time. Not that tough.

Just do eeeet and keep us posted on the progress.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Stop jacking this thread, or I will cut your balls off.

The offenders know who they are.
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Really? That would be a nice cheap vasectomy.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I hope I'm not one of the jackers, just trying to give some advice.

There is a reason the Mustang and Thunderbird got IRS and the Panther chassis didn't. The panther chassis is what it is, comfort over performance. Of course it would have been nice if the police package cars got something better than a shitty 4 link that binds like it does, but it didn't. Long story short, might as well just throw the 4.6 and trans in the frame the car already has, because swapping up frames still gets you the same crappy suspension.

Or, just build a new four link rear for it that works better than what Ford did.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

So, has anyone actually done an MN12 IRS swap into a Panther?

As I originally posted, I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, so if the Marauder chassis/motor/electronics can be used in whole with the box coupe body on top, that is the preferred plan.

If the MN12 rear fits with minimal fabrication, I would certainly consider it.

If the frame differences are huge, then the front 98-02 suspension upgrade and some Windsor motor mods will be in order.

Not interested in swapping in the 4.6 in unless we are using the entire Marauder frame. Would make more sense to go with some aluminum heads, a cam, and a nice intake for the ol' GMC....

I have access to a Marauder, and will be getting the coupe from Dallas this weekend. Time to break out the measuring tape!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorV8 View Post
                              If the frame differences are huge, then the front 98-02 suspension upgrade and some Windsor motor mods will be in order.

windsor power is a lot cheaper than modular power...at least it seems that way to me. i could be wrong, never having actually owned any mod motors
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

this thread is retarded and nothing makes any sense

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                                X