No announcement yet.

V-10 in a Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tags are the fun part. I think most everyone in here has dreamed of doing the v-10 swap. Who gives a shit if its 2 or 3 valve. It's a V-10. That is commendable.
    I'm really looking forward to more progress and updates on this. Hopefully in a few years, I can dump a v-10 in the Tank and go from there.
    Keep it up mang. I bet it'll sound awesome.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
      Alright, back on topic.

That thing would be a torque monster. I contemplated a V10 build for my truck, but there's no performance cams or anything. Makes me sad
      Comp Cams has cam blanks....for the V10.

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      Who gives a shit if its 2 or 3 valve. It's a V-10. That is commendable.
      The 2V V10 is a bit of a waste of an engine, as it's pretty much done from a modification standpoint. The 3-valve? It's got an excellent intake, and the 3-valve heads flow really well stock, not to mention respond well to porting. in other words, it has room to grow, where the 2V doesn't. It's not a slap at anyone's intelligence....it's just the way it is.

It's commendable that he wants to drop it in, at least someone is doing something with their car (I'm on hold), but with the extra weight that both the engine and huge tranny are going to add....he might as well have built a decent 351W.
      Last edited by ; 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
        By any definition, towing 30 miles is a short trip. I hope you are kidding about the 2000# tongue weight.
        What you got away with pulling a float in a parade and nobody died has nothing to do with practical limits on towing weight.
        I might be mistaken about the tongue weight, but I know it would completely squat the car on the stock setting and would have to pump up the rear shocks for about 5-10 minutes (small compressor) to lift the ass back off the ground. This was about 20 years ago so my understanding of what the car had on it may be a bit off, but I do know it had the stock engine and a towing package. It also had 2-way radios and a bag phone (grandpa was the CEO of a small telephone company). I also know it takes a lot of weight to completely squat the rear of a panther. I remember 1500# being mentioned a lot which is why I said 1-2K since I'm not real sure. Anyone know how much tongue weight it takes to squat a stock panther? if so... add probably 200-500 pounds to that and you've got what that tongue weight was. [/OT]

I always love hearing about folks that do engine swaps and get massive power out of their cars. If this project really does happen... I'll be drooling over it the whole way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good evening,..I like the pro/con talk on this site!...not all of us attempt to do things to please others,nor to prove a point...The wagon was broken,I have a 351 long block sitting on a stand right now along with a fresh set of windsor jr. heads,air gap intake and new carb to fit the combo...I could put that in there...But the deal came up on the v10/4r100...and I know the history on it..And the price was a little more than the price of a full gasket set and a set of shorty headers,that would of been needed for that route....I looked into the gang of lawn mower motors closer and I found out that Harbor Freight has 6.5 h.p. motors for $100.00 ea.!..Lets see....For what I've got into the v10,I could only have picked up FIVE of 'em!...And the total h.p. would only be 32.5!LOL!...looked at the harness and have noted that its fully labled what to goes where!..something that ford does for the r/v builders...I was a little leary about the wiring to get 'er running but I feel better now!...the fabrication stuff is not a big deal...Its getting things to fit that I'm plotting now...I still have to re/key the str.colume that came in the deal too,from the m/h chassis,includes turn sig. and shifter for the trans. but have no key for the lock thats in it now,so I can't get the old tumbler out....more pics soon....WingFoot....

Comment

I need to get a navigator motor for that price, now.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

[QUOTE=slymer;575549

I always love hearing about folks that do engine swaps and get massive power out of their cars. [/QUOTE]

This particular swap isn't going to produce 'massive power'. It's a 'I want a V10 exhaust note' swap.

Comment

Originally posted by wingfootwagon View Post
                I found out that Harbor Freight has 6.5 h.p. motors for $100.00 ea.!..
                I have a coupon for 20% off at Harbor Freight.. I will email it to you.. you can then add another motor to bring the total HP up to 39 !!! :smirk:

I think the project is interesting and look forward to the progress.

Mike J.
                1990 Country Squire LX .... Rolling around 220k miles Man is she Sweet to me.
                1976 Lincoln Continental .... 55k miles and loaded with Smiles !!!
                1990 LTD Crown Victoria Wagon .... "Fresh" project

A parking lot \ barn full of Non-GMN related vehicles.

Comment

well if you are going to go the lawnmower motors I will foot the bill for one more just to see it get done and you will be up to 45.5hp!!!!!!!!
                  '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                  "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                  "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                  "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                  "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                    This particular swap isn't going to produce 'massive power'. It's a 'I want a V10 exhaust note' swap.
                    it'll be more than the lopo 302 ever had.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

but is that really worth the extra money for spark plugs?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        it'll be more than the lopo 302 ever had.
                        Please reference these pics to give you an idea of how much room the V10 will take up:

This is a 5.4 Lightning engine bolted into a MK8 Lincoln, which is essentially the same as my car under the hood. The 5.4 is also the same basic engine as the 6.8 V10, with the addition of 4" in total engine length, and two extra cylinders.

This image above gives you an idea of just how wide this freaking engine is, and how it really doesn't fit in this car.

Comment

Isn't an FN10 engine bay a bit narrower than a Panthers? Unless we're talking about something other than a modular V10 into a wagon. I realize a modular engine is physically much larger than a 302
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                            Isn't an FN10 engine bay a bit narrower than a Panthers? Unless we're talking about something other than a modular V10 into a wagon. I realize a modular engine is physically much larger than a 302
                            The shock towers are a problem with the MN12/Lincoln chassis, but keep in mind that there's an A/C box under the hood of a....box, and it's also a bit snug so far as hood clearance goes. This is going to be an interesting build....if he ever gets around to building it.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, I as much as anyone else want to see what how a V10 fits under the hood of one of these cars....

Comment

I can see it interfering with the ac box. There is a simple solution for that. Take it off like deuce and a half did with his drag car. I've toyed with the idea of doing that just to clean up the engine compartment. (ac is long since removed) At the very least it should be relatively easy to cut it down to eliminate the protrusion that holds the evaporator.

If it's still too big, use an aftermarket heater.
                              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                              Open/Lock/Ratio #
                              -----------------------
                              G / H / 2.26
                              B / C / 2.47
                              8 / M / 2.73
                              7 / - / 3.07
                              Y / Z / 3.08
                              4 / D / 3.42
                              F / R / 3.45
                              5 / E / 3.27
                              6 / W / 3.73
                              2 / K / 3.55
                              A / - / 3.63
                              J / - / 3.85

Comment

Please reference these pics to give you an idea of how much room the V10 will take up:
                                was referencing the torque/hp not the fit. I know dern well that engine is a beast and a huge one at that.

Comment

Working...
                                X